Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Think this is real?

Default Re: FA: Think this is real?

The item has been removed from eBay.

Sweet success

Distinguished SOTW Member

Best leave an opinion about some item being a fake to experts. I've seen some REAL items come out that didn't look so hot, too. When I worked for the Motion Picture Association of America, I was a court-qualified expert on authenticating film/video products (meaning I could testify to OPINION in courts around the country, and did so many times). I also interacted with many other trademark/copyright holders throughout my career there (like designer clothing and accessories, car and motorcycle parts, baby formula, sun glasses, etc.). There are many subtleties in authenticating products that are missed by the general public. Don't be TOO quick to brand someone's property as being a fake. DAVE
    Dave

Hmm, good advice. But the red felts along with the looped R were enough to warrant the item being a fake. I don't understand, why don't they just get green or black felts and not loop the R? They're so close to making a fake that will be impossible for us to spot, so I don't understand why they can't just get rid of these two extra steps.
    By no means do I warrant making fakes, the contrary as I messaged ebay as well, but still, they're so close, don't see why it's that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Best leave an opinion about some item being a fake to experts. I've seen some REAL items come out that didn't look so hot, too. When I worked for the Motion Picture Association of America, I was a court-qualified expert on authenticating film/video products (meaning I could testify to OPINION in courts around the country, and did so many times). I also interacted with many other trademark/copyright holders throughout my career there (like designer clothing and accessories, car and motorcycle parts, baby formula, sun glasses, etc.). There are many subtleties in authenticating products that are missed by the general public. Don't be TOO quick to brand someone's property as being a fake. DAVE
    http://www.selmer.fr/media/FAQ/counterfeit_panpipes.pdf

Default Admin note

I moved this thread here in the eBay, Paypal & Craigslist Experiences forum, which is the correct place for this type of post rather than in the Marketplace -- Or another way to put it: The OP is questioning something about the auction rather than advertising his auction.

I also modified the title by removing the “FA” (For Auction) which would be required if the OP was advertising his auction in our Marketplace.
    Kim
    SOTW Administrator

Default Re: Think this is real?

My bad kcp, sounds like the move was certainly warranted as well as the title change, so it's all good spiderbro.
    I'm very happy I posted this thread, learned a lot about fake Selmer's, otherwise I certainly could have been duped having no idea how Reference was written nor that the felts were only black and green. Everyone has been very helpful thanks everybody.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12