Sax on the Web Forum banner

Love my Theo Wanne Gaia, Hate the ligature

20K views 44 replies 24 participants last post by  Blowhard2 
#1 ·
I love my Theo Wanne Gaia HR 7 for tenor (103,xxx Mark VI), but the ligature drives me crazy. It is very hard to keep straight and the reed wants to move as you tighten. I had the same unhappiness with the original lig on my vintage Link STM, and replaced it with a Rovner Platinum. Any other Gaia owners find the same problem? What alternative ligature do you use?

#41 ·
The mouthpieces are amazing, but I think a lot of people have been put off them because of the ligature not sealing the reed to the mouthpiece. It took me several months of trying my Amma and putting it away, trying it again and putting it away again until I realised it was the ligature to blame. Once I realised this the Amma had become the best mouthpiece I've ever played and the only mouthpiece I now use on tenor. Try a Brancher that they make for their metal baritone mouthpiece, works really well.

#42 ·
I started this thread, and Matt from TW got me fixed up right away. That said, about seven months ago I bought a Marc Jean lig (gold-plated) and have been very, very happy with it. I love my tenor setup: Theo Wanne Gaia 7* HR, Marc Jean gold lig, Hemke 2.5 reeds. Got exactly the sound I want.

#45 ·
I agree!

The Claude Lakey lig is a good value, universal, practical, versatile lig that fit any HR (and , so they claim , metal) MP's that I have tried them with ,including a Wanne Datta .
The clever click system for adjustment works well too, but watch tuning adjustment, as the reed my move!.

Blowhard2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.