Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Love my Theo Wanne Gaia, Hate the ligature

I love my Theo Wanne Gaia HR 7 for tenor (103,xxx Mark VI), but the ligature drives me crazy. It is very hard to keep straight and the reed wants to move as you tighten. I had the same unhappiness with the original lig on my vintage Link STM, and replaced it with a Rovner Platinum. Any other Gaia owners find the same problem? What alternative ligature do you use?

Forum Contributor 2011 legitalto's Avatar

Default Re: Love my Theo Wanne Gaia, Hate the ligature

Me too. Love Theo's mouthpieces, can't stand the Enlighned ligature because it doesn't stay on if you even look at it wrong. For me anyway. I had Marc Jean make one for me on a Gaia Soprano piece. Took a while but Great Ligature!

Yep, i agree. Great mouthpiece, frustrating ligature design. I have a Gaia & an Ambika for Tenor & a Durga Baritone. I use rovners on all three. I was having trouble with reeds not sealing after about 10 minutes of playing & the same reeds work great after i switched ligs. Im surprised i dont here more people complaining about them.

I had one for a while. I used an Ishimori gold plate and an Olegature.

I've had problems with the Liberty ligature on one of Theo's metal tenor pieces - reeds not sealing after 10 minutes or so. I figured out that the main screw of the lig wasn't quite long enough and that reeds were not being held securely. I email Theo about it and he recommended gently drilling out the yoke part of the lig with a countersink to allow the main screw to penetrate deeper; Theo said he was going to change the Liberty lig slightly in future runs to allow for this problem but I have seen pieces in my local shop that still have the old design. This fix was successful for me and after a year of using Theo's pieces I have got used to the way they work and haven't had any further problems.

I also have an ebonite piece of Theo's and have not had any problems at all with the ligs beyond their initial strangeness. In fact I use the Enlightened lig on other pieces out of preference, but I can't move the mouthpiece on the cork by grabbing the lig, I have to do it at the shank or it will slip. I did try Rovners but honestly I didn't like the sound as much.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

The enlightened ligs work well but they are fussy as hell. I changed the plate on my soprano one last night...not an easy task..because I couldn't get the original plate to tighten straight on the reed. The cut outs were uneven.
    On my Kali tenor I had to change to the thick brass plate because the standard plate will not tighten sufficiently to seal my Plasticovers..it only just seals Javas. I was sent a free replacement lig but that is the same.
    I really like these pieces. My main problem is the Durga bari piece hanging off on the cork of my low Bb Selmer. I wish they would test modern bari pieces on low Bb's too. I had the same problem but worse with Aaron Drakes piece...Great piece but I was hanging off worse than the Durga. They are both fine on low A's. I've never had this problem before on my low Bb with Bergs, Links, Lawtons or my Lamberson which all had decent length shanks. More shank please on the Durga baritone.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
    The enlightened ligs work well but they are fussy as hell. I changed the plate on my soprano one last night...not an easy task..because I couldn't get the original plate to tighten straight on the reed. The cut outs were uneven.
    Hi Michael, I think it's important to allow the pressure plate to be loose on the screw; if it's tightened down it hasn't got the range of movement necessary to adapt to a reed's uneven back.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
    On my Kali tenor I had to change to the thick brass plate because the standard plate will not tighten sufficiently to seal my Plasticovers..it only just seals Javas. I was sent a free replacement lig but that is the same.
    This is exactly the problem I mentioned, you have to drill out the yoke of the lig to allow the screw to penetrate further. You'd think at that price Wanne's would get this sorted!

Hello all---

I felt like I should chime in here....
    (disclaimer for those that don't know--I work with Theo Wanne making the mouthpieces and accessories)

First off, let me say that I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. This sort of thing helps us make our products better. We did realize a short while ago that the thumbscrew needed just a little bit more travel to be able to put the correct kind of pressure on the reed--particularly for some of the newer synthetic options available now.

We did a revision to the thumbscrew and to the ligatures, making the thumbscrews longer and adding a chamfer to the ligatures to allow more travel so the thumbscrew doesn't bottom out on the threads. That issue is handled going forward.

As far as the Enlightened ligs being a little finicky, that to some extent is the nature of their design. The ligature is designed to make only minimal contact with the mouthpiece, and because of that concept, it unfortunately does make it somewhat difficult at times to move the mouthpiece up and down the cork with the ligature on. It is important that the screw that holds the pressure plate on the thumbscrew is not fully tightened---the pressure plate does need to be able to rock back and forth a little bit to accommodate for different table angles, and also so that it does not spin with the thumbscrew.

That being said---we absolutely stand behind our stuff. If any of you have any kind of issue at all---PLEASE get in contact with me. Shoot me an email: matt@theowanne.com ....or PM me here on the forum. I really want to make sure that you are happy with your Theo Wanne piece, and will do whatever I possibly can to do so.
    Theo Wanne Mantra Tenor (Black Nickel)--Theo Wanne Destroyer 8*, Gaia 8
    Theo Wanne Mantra Soprano (prototype)--Gaia 8, Mantra 8
    Alto--Theo Wanne Durga 8, Gaia 8

Anyone find a two screw lig. that will fit a Gaia metal tenor? I tried many and had no luck

I just want to say how impressed I am with the speed and sincerity with which Matt from Theo Wanne has responded to my issue. I want to repeat: The Gaia mouthpiece is spectacular, and I recommend that anyone looking for great piece give one a try. ! I am very confident that this story will have a happy ending.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Well done. Everybody knows the excellent name Theo Wanne has in this business and that this will have a happy ending. One thing is that the lig may not fit one or many of us as players, which is perfectly understandable. A different thing is a quality or design thing.

Your response is very good and according to what you represent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
    Hello all---

(disclaimer for those that don't know--I work with Theo Wanne making the mouthpieces and accessories)

First off, let me say that I really appreciate the feedback from everyone. This sort of thing helps us make our products better. We did realize a short while ago that the thumbscrew needed just a little bit more travel to be able to put the correct kind of pressure on the reed--particularly for some of the newer synthetic options available now.

We did a revision to the thumbscrew and to the ligatures, making the thumbscrews longer and adding a chamfer to the ligatures to allow more travel so the thumbscrew doesn't bottom out on the threads. That issue is handled going forward.

As far as the Enlightened ligs being a little finicky, that to some extent is the nature of their design. The ligature is designed to make only minimal contact with the mouthpiece, and because of that concept, it unfortunately does make it somewhat difficult at times to move the mouthpiece up and down the cork with the ligature on. It is important that the screw that holds the pressure plate on the thumbscrew is not fully tightened---the pressure plate does need to be able to rock back and forth a little bit to accommodate for different table angles, and also so that it does not spin with the thumbscrew.

That being said---we absolutely stand behind our stuff. If any of you have any kind of issue at all---PLEASE get in contact with me. Shoot me an email: matt@theowanne.com ....or PM me here on the forum. I really want to make sure that you are happy with your Theo Wanne piece, and will do whatever I possibly can to do so.

Deleted. Duplicate Post

Quote Originally Posted by bflateflat View Post
    Anyone find a two screw lig. that will fit a Gaia metal tenor? I tried many and had no luck
    I use a Rico H (the Link size) on a Metal Durga. Fits great and pretty cheap.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012 dexdex's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
    Hello all---

Hmm, reminds me of that common question when a piece of software doesn't work the way you expect: "is it a bug or a feature ?" Usually, with a bug, you still have some hope.
    Sop Yana SC880 - Vandoren V16 S6 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

These are terrific pieces and Spooner is a top man to deal with. The soprano and alto pieces I have are the best I've owned. The teething trouble with the lig I sorted with a thicker plate and the Kali 8 is tremendous. The Durga on bari really plays well ..Time has just caught up with me playing a low Bb bari..on the low A the position on the cork is just fine. I will get more pieces from Theo Wanne.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I have never had a problem with the ligature on my Gaia mouthpiece (alto). However, you can try a Vandoren Optimum lig on it, it works perfectly.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

I love my tenor HR Gaia 7 even more now that I have totally eliminated my problem with the ligature, thanks to the friendly help of Matt Ambrose of Theo Wanne. What happened was that the tiny screw holding the pressure plate had become too tight, and instead of staying aligned on the reed the plate was turning clockwise as I tightened the thumbscrew. This was pulling the reed and adversely affecting the seal. On Matt's suggestion I also tried switching from the standard pressure plate to the heavier plate. This made everything much better. And then I tried for the first time Rigotti Gold reeds, 3M, and I can't believe the beautiful tone I am getting. I am now a very happy camper. Thanks, Matt and Theo!

I, too, have had a problem with the ligature included with my soprano Gaia mpc, though I love the mouthpiece.

Will a Rico H-ligature work with a soprano Gaia? Or would it be too large?

Thanks.

I used to have issues with my metal Amma with the liberty ligature. The reed basically did not play right after a while. I got back my selmer 404 ligature, stretched it and now it plays even better than before!

I love my Amma, it's the best mouthpiece I've played, but the ligatures are terrible, they just don't seal the reed to the mouthpiece. Why haven't they sorted this out yet?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast