Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Best ligature fit for Metalite baritone mps?

Ok, so I bought an M7 and M9 from Kessler music in the combo deal with the Rico H-lig but it doesn't seem to fit reeds well. Seems like the H-lig is opened up as far loose as possible and then there is not enough depth for the reed to slide under and still have the H-lig slid towards the back. Even fully loosened I can only get the lig to slide back as far back as just over or just past the vamp on the reed, causing squeaks and squeals. I have H-ligs on alto and tenor and they work even though I prefer other ligs. Just wondering if Kessler is shipping tenor ligs for these bari pieces? They fit way too snug to seem like the right fit for baritone.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Re: Best ligature fit for Metalite baritone mps?

Quote Originally Posted by fusion1 View Post
    Just wondering if Kessler is shipping tenor ligs for these bari pieces? They fit way too snug to seem like the right fit for baritone.
    I would think the best thing is to ring them up and mention the problem, so they can swap it for one that does fit.

I did call and spoke to Dave Kessler and he was a nice guy to talk to! Well apparently these need to be sized for the mouthpiece and he said they usually do this in house but somehow this must not have been done. He walked me through it and he did note on the Metalite with the H lig, the lig is supposed to sit right where the line is on the Metalite which is usually farther forward than where I naturally feel comfortable with lig placement.

The procedure he walked me through was loosening the lig without the screws falling out and pushing it on the mouthpiece. Then tightening the rear screw as tight as it can go and then following suit for the front screw. It sort of shapes the lig around the Metalite and I will say it is a bit better after fitting this lig.

It does still seem a bit more fiddly than other ligs I am used to with my tenor so maybe for bari I will check out some others like the Versa or Platinum Rovner, or one of the newer Vandoren M/O hybrid ligs. Does Francois Louis make the basic lig for baritone? It is actually one of my favorites for HR alto or tenor pieces, and I would think it would work equally well for bari.

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar

Try one of those el-cheapo Rico inverted ligs - http://store.daddario.com/category/146107/Rico_Ligature

I use these on tenor and soprano, and actually like them a lot better than the Rico H-ligs. They fit the Graftonite / Metalite mouthpieces well (not sure about baritone though, as I don't play it). The H-ligs seem to not be quite wide enough for the reed, and don't sit on the mouthpiece that well.
    Steve Keller

Quote Originally Posted by skeller047 View Post
    Try one of those el-cheapo Rico inverted ligs - http://store.daddario.com/category/146107/Rico_Ligature

I use these on tenor and soprano, and actually like them a lot better than the Rico H-ligs. They fit the Graftonite / Metalite mouthpieces well (not sure about baritone though, as I don't play it). The H-ligs seem to not be quite wide enough for the reed, and don't sit on the mouthpiece that well.
    This is true. The nubs of the H contact the reed on a slope so it always seems it is never completely secure. I noticed this on alto and tenor H ligs as well which is why I prefer other ligs. For now the H lig will have to do until I get something else.

Forum Contributor 2010 Bari Sax Guy's Avatar

I use the Rovner strechy black lig that I found in my mouthpiece drawer. Works well on my Bari Metalite. I think it's a tenor lig. I also like it because it is a 1 screw lig.

I, too have used a generic Rovner for my Metalite, as well as the Graftonite. The super-cheapo on eBay has a metal reed placer on the bottom. For the 9 bucks they charge, you can keep a drawerful of them and a spare in the case. I have the real rovner on my metal pieces.

If you want the ultimate ligature, get the Saxxas lig from Hungary (Saxxas.com). Their service is great. It's based on the Winslow design but pricey-about $125. The sound generated though is worth it. I have Saxxas for soprano, alto and bari with a Metalite.

More ideas please. Keep them coming and thanks so far.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 MyMartinTenor's Avatar

I took my bari metalite to my local music store and just tried all the 2 screw ligs in their "generic" box until one fit right. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but the lig is perfect. Do you have a decent store nearby?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I bought a couple of batches of bargain mixed 2 screw ligs off ebay a couple of years ago and that investment has worked for every mpc in the collection. I got some alto ligs represented to be tenors. Don't play much alto. I did not squawk about it, and sure enough, one (a berg) was just right for link super tone master.

For a Metalite bari m'piece, you do need a tenor lig! I did warn someone on here a few months ago, when they were thinking of buying one as a present.

Yes, the H lig for Bari and the Tenor (for hard rubber mouthpiece) are the same size. HOWEVER, the mouthpiece caps are not. If you use the tenor cap on the bari Metallite it will contact the reed on the corners and possibly cause reed damage.