P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Root canal

Default Root canal

Hey, guys!
    I broke a tooth the other day and the dentist says that my 2 options are to get the tooth extracted or have a root canal done. I have my senior recital coming up in 2 weeks and I am curious about healing time. With the root canal my dentist says I should be able to play my sax in about a day. With the extraction he says it could be up to a week. Any advice from my fellow sax players who may have gone through something similar? I have never had major dental work done and I am very nervous. Would either of these procedures effect my playing in the long term?
    As of right now, I have super glue on the tooth to keep the nerve from being exposed and my dentist gave me antibiotics and pain killers. I am thinking about waiting out the operation until after my senior recital.
    As a side note, my professor is out of the country performing until next week. I am just looking for answers/ opinions/ experiences. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Soprano: 2007 Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series Raven, Selmer S80 D, Rascher
    Alto: 2009 Cannonball Vintage Series Unlacquered Lady Godiva, MacSax FJIII 9, Rascher
    Tenor: 2011 P. Mauriat 66RDK, HR Link, Metal Yani, Rascher

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: Root canal

Which tooth? Root canal is no big deal, and you'll get the tooth capped sometime after that? I have three capped teeth that have had root canals, including a top front one. No problem playing.

It is my 5th tooth on the right side, after my second canine and before my molars. Yes, the dentist said that I would come back 2 weeks after the root canal to get the tooth filled.
    Alto: 2009 Cannonball Vintage Series Unlacquered Lady Godiva, MacSax FJIII 9, Rascher

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

i've had a few root canals in the past. No big deal at all. And no it won't affect your playing.

Distinguished Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

You just won't play that day. If you can eat on it, you can play on it.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Silver Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Woodstone 7, TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Woodstone 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

2000-something Yamaha YTS-475 (backup tenor)

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Well that all sounds good. I'd like to have a tooth there and not a big gap! Any clue on when I could play my sax after the root canal is completed?

Distinguished SOTW Member.

A root canal is a process over several visits. After each procedure recovery is by next day. The final visit is installing the crown,(you said you broke your tooth ) which will function pretty much immediately.

Distinguished Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

As I was saying, if you can eat on it, you can play on it.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Silver Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Woodstone 7, TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Woodstone 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8

2000-something Yamaha YTS-475 (backup tenor)

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

The only big deal with a root canal is if there is secondary infection later on. The success rate is not 100%

Certainly with a root canal you will feel normal next day.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I have had about 16 (molars have 3+) and never a problem except I had one redone 30 years later and needed an apical (tip removed) 5 years later. Since the root has the nerve you will actually feel less pain afterwards. By all means SAVE THE TOOTH. I ended up losing a few teeth before I had my mouth redone and wished I had never had them pulled. Later in life you may need the tooth to attach a permanent bridge if you lose a tooth next to it. Playing wise, I think you should be back in shape in 48 hours or so. With new dental work my playing improved! I had all my work done when I was about 34 and I am turning 65 soon. The biggest pain is paying for it but someday you will be happy you took care of things early on. I haven't been to a doctor in 48 years but I get may eyes checked and my teeth get a lot of attention. Also, my previous dentist played Baritone horn and my current one is a clarinetist in a band I conduct.
    Keep us posted.

Forum Contributor 2014

My dentist has a completley enclosed, water cooled lathe that connects to a photo wand. He takes a series of pictures with the wand and sends the profile of the tooth to the lathe. He then grinds down the tooth and does the root canal. Meanwhile, the lathe picks up a cube of dental porcelin and proceeds to turn it at high speed and shapes it into the cap. The root canal finished, he mounts the cap and fine-finishes it by hand. You walk out all done in one visit--and you can play that evening.

Of course, guess who pays for all this hi-tech equipment.

The time when you can play really depends on your pain tolerance and ability to recover but it should be good after a day, at least that is based on my experience unless you still feel the pain after that then you should be good playing. It entails quite ffew sessions though so you should be back to the dentist every now and then until all the procedures are done so this would probably mean that you will have some days when you wont be able to play due to the procedure then a day to recover and that is quite a few.

Update: I had some insurance troubles and I could not afford a root canal $1200+
    I had to have the tooth pulled. Recovery time was about a week and I am now playing fine. Things feel really weird when doing effects and extended techniques (flutter tongue, altissimo, etc.). I believe that I can get used to it. At least with getting the tooth pulled I got a souvenir.

If you need the practice time, is a 2 week round of antibiotics an option? Then deal with the tooth after the recital ? I remember my senior recital and practicing 8 - 10 hrs per day to prepare.