P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: SBA serial number?

Default SBA serial number?

Hey everyone,

I just got a late 55xxx SBA tenor this weekend. It plays well, and there's nothing wrong with it, just a curious question:

Is my sax a "transitional" between SBA and Mark VI? It does play a bit like some early Mark VIs I tried in the same shop. Serial number it says M 55xxx, if that's important, cause I read somewhere that the m relates to a Mark VI somehow. I'm no expert, so I was hoping you guys could chime in.

Thanks,

Brandon

Default Re: SBA serial number?

The end of the SBA run and beginning of the MK VI run overlapped. MK VI was being brought out while SBA's were still being sold off. Serial numbers are equally as confusing; you can find 54xxx SBA AND 54xxx MK VI, and even 55xxx SBA as well. Apparently it was based on the parts and bodies they still had around to finish up, not a sequential change.

If you post photos we can tell if it is SBA, transitional, or MK VI, not by numbers. "M" is just a certain period, not related to MK anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Horned Toad View Post
    Apparently it was based on the parts and bodies they still had around to finish up, not a sequential change.
    My own tenor would bear this out, too. 51,XXX, but it has some Mark VI parts on it.
    Comparison is the thief of joy.
    Check out my latest CD HERE
    Visit my new website HERE

Is there anything specific for me to take photos of?

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matero View Post
    My own tenor would bear this out, too. 51,XXX, but it has some Mark VI parts on it.
    51,xxx range is a bit early for M6, altho if it's 51,999 that might barely come in under the wire. Care to specify what 'parts' or post a pic or two?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

I pretty prominent player here plays a 54xxx Mark VI. And another plays a 55xxx SBA. Both great players. Go figure.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

Quote Originally Posted by AMASAX View Post
    51,xxx range is a bit early for M6, altho if it's 51,999 that might barely come in under the wire. Care to specify what 'parts' or post a pic or two?
    Specifically, the "forked" F# keyguard, the strap ring, and the little badge on the front of the neck.
    Comparison is the thief of joy.
    Check out my latest CD HERE
    Visit my new website HERE