P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Mouthpiece Recommendation for a Chu ?

Default Mouthpiece Recommendation for a Chu ?

Posting for a friend...

He has an older Conn with the nailfile G# key - I think that in reality it is called a 'New Wonder Series II' but most people use the nickname of 'Chu' for this model. I suppose it is probably a 1920's Conn...

I had a similar Alto years ago, gold plated, but I never really liked it. I used it as trade bait for a 1931 SSS cigar cutter and never looked back.

I can't ever remember playing a Tenor of this same model.

Anyway... my friend is looking for a mouthpiece recommendation for something that is a bit 'bright' that would play well on this old Conn. Unfortunately, I didn't think to ask him what he is currently using for a mouthpiece. Since I have no experience playing on one of these I told him that I would post and see if anyone here on SOTW could provide some mouthpiece recommendations based on their own playing experiences.

I am going to loan him a Moragn 7EL to try as an experiment. I'll have to mail it since he and I do not live near one another so it will be a couple of days before he can try out the Morgan and report back.

Since stumbling onto a Morgan (Alto - 6E) about 15 years ago I have played them pretty much exclusively since then.

I have a feeling that a Morgan 'EL' will work well on this model of Conn.

How about a Berg ? Does anyone out there play a Berg on a Chu with good results ?

Forum Contributor 2011 DanSax64's Avatar

Default Re: Mouthpiece Recommendation for a Chu ?

I played on a Chu tenor for a short period of time (2 years ago). Both of my metal Berg 100/2/M and STM-Link PhilTone .097 were working great - with RJS 3S.
    "Life without Music would be a mistake - Nietzsche"

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

I used to use Bergs on Chu tenors - metal 90/3 on a 167k horn, and later 115/2 on a 249k horn.

I actually found the 90/3 to be a very versatile piece, and capable of more delicacy and darkness than you might expect (hint: low-ish baffle). The 115/2 was more temperamental, intonationally and reed-wise, but gave bigger and brighter tone.

I like Morgans on any vintage axe. I use a 7L on tenor occasionally and it is nicely bright, full-toned, and has a full dynamic range.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Distinguished SOTW Member rsclosson's Avatar

My Chu is very mouthpiece friendly. I have played Links, Morgan Excalibur, Phil Tone Equinox and Lelandais Woodwind. They all had their own characteristics but they all seemed to work very very well.
    1955 Olds Opera Tenor (Buffet Dynaction
    Lamberson J7 Vintage Brass Selmer Ligature
    Rico Orange 3 (Reedgeeked) or Fibracell Med Soft

I play on a silver 1933 Conn New Wonder Transitional (chu) and have found that vintage Brilhart mouthpieces work really well.

I use an Ebolin 4* (that's the black ones) here's me playing on it http://soundcloud.com/mattlondonmusi...-peter-meechan

In the past I have also used the Tonalin Brilhart 3* (that's the white ones most people know) which worked well.

Of course it will be a process experimentation between mouthpiece and reeds. On my brilharts I use Alexander DC reeds. I found that Vandoren reeds really didn't work.

Hope that helps.

Best!

M