P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Borged again

Hybrid View

Default Borged again

Well just pulled the trigger on a 24kt jubilee tenor.Should be here soon.Cant wait now though.Will have to find names for my 2 borg tenors now like maneasts Monk and Trane.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Rampone Cazzani AGU XX Neck,Vigilante NY Mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe,PPT 8 mp, Alto MK1 62 ,Java A45 mp, www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?

Default Re: Borged again

Excellent!

What series is it? "J" or "OB"?
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

Its a J,serial 191**J,so an early 1.Looks to be in minty condition.Just been tweaked and setup,few pads re-seated.Lush 24kt gold plated.Guy says only a few faint tiny tiny marks.Been well looked after.Hope its here tuesday.I am a lucky guy.I said i was getting a 2nd borg this year but was starting to think there was no way.Well i was wrong.
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Rampone Cazzani AGU XX Neck,Vigilante NY Mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe,PPT 8 mp, Alto MK1 62 ,Java A45 mp, www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?

Sweet!

I don't know why you call that an early one - my first Borg' tenor was 409J - yep, three digits. Heck, my current horn - that I still consider "new" is 187**J.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Enjoy!
    Go for The Tone,

g

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    Sweet!

I don't know why you call that an early one - my first Borg' tenor was 409J - yep, three digits. Heck, my current horn - that I still consider "new" is 187**J.

I look forward to hearing your comments.

Enjoy!
    Silly me.Will let you know when she lands.

Forum Contributor 2013

Congrats on you new horn,thought about that one myself even got a buy it now price off the seller but just don't play enough tenor to justify the purchase but it did look good,enjoy.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdoh View Post
    Congrats on you new horn,thought about that one myself even got a buy it now price off the seller but just don't play enough tenor to justify the purchase but it did look good,enjoy.

Brian
    I came 2nd in the bidding so lost out but buyer dropped out so a few hours later i gets a 2nd chance offer,well i grabbed it.Whats a guy to do i say.I was very very lucky there.

Argghhh, where'd I miss this one?

Not to worry - I'm in no place to buy another horn now. I just down-sized houses and have even less room for horns (not to mention carrying two mortgages for a bit).

But I'll be a lookin' and a watchin'...
    Go for The Tone,

g

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I still have to try one of these. I'm very curious about them. It's in my list of options to try when I go get a backup for my Mark VI, maybe this next Summer.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Quote Originally Posted by jlima View Post
    I still have to try one of these. I'm very curious about them. It's in my list of options to try when I go get a backup for my Mark VI, maybe this next Summer.
    You might end up leaving the MKVI for better things.I traded in my last silver plate 1962 MKVI about 8 years ago for my 1st Borgani jubilee.Still wish i had kept that pearl silver borg,it was nice.I tested 5 borgs that day when i walked in the shop with my MKVI,walked out with a borg.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    You might end up leaving the MKVI for better things.I traded in my last silver plate 1962 MKVI about 8 years ago for my 1st Borgani jubilee.Still wish i had kept that pearl silver borg,it was nice.I tested 5 borgs that day when i walked in the shop with my MKVI,walked out with a borg.
    Who knows, only time will tell. I'm an open-minded guy.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Quote Originally Posted by Borganiboy View Post
    Where do they keep 5 Borg's in stock? I'm shopping for a tenor. These are in my price range, and I'm hearing a lot of chatter recently.

-Bubba-

Sax jazz solo gig today then mega loud band gig tonite.Put the gold borg through the gears.

What can I say? I have owned several of these, sold several, and keep coming back to them. I'm not making the mistake of selling the one I have now. They are a great jazz horn - R&B, funk, etc - maybe not as focused for that, but big and boomy. There are a lot of other, less expensive tenors on the market for the r&b funk circuit, for example Rick Maraday's M58. I have a Mark VI but actually don't play it that much anymore.

Hey Leon - I'm forever indebted to you for turning me on to my first Borg'.

As to the "big and boomy": Yes, it can be but it is superbly controllable. Just yesterday, we regrouped the classical quartet and my silver plate Jubilee with a Morgan 6C sounded sssssssssssoooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeet playing in a medium-sized concert hall. It's got it all going on.

It might be interesting to see whether the new Jubilee "OB" series is more focused with its smaller bell but I don't really need anything.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As to the "big and boomy": Yes, it can be but it is superbly controllable. Just yesterday, we regrouped the classical quartet and my silver plate Jubilee with a Morgan 6C sounded sssssssssssoooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeet playing in a medium-sized concert hall. It's got it all going on.

It might be interesting to see whether the new Jubilee "OB" series is more focused with its smaller bell but I don't really need anything.
    So, you would find it considerably appropriate for say... College?

-Bubba-

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba06 View Post
    So, you would find it considerably appropriate for say... College?

-Bubba-
    I consider them appropriate for life.

As to appropriate for college, that may come down to your personality, your choice of study, and your professors. I understand that the classical world can be quite persnickity about horn choices That said, if you are studying classical tenor, there is precedent of a wide variety of horns played by the leading tenor players. If jazz studies, I would hope there would be more emphasis on developing a personal sound - and the Borgani has a sound that is not confined to the classic Selmer focused buzzy Mk VI. Beyond the sound characteristics, I love the mechanism and the fact that it is handfitted. There is a coolness factor that I still enjoy - every part is stamped with the horn's serial number. I enjoy just admiring the fit of the horn while resting between tunes. You'll have to experience one to understand it...

Bottom line: I was a Selmer player for decades and haven't looked back since selling my Ref 36 almost 5 years ago (and it, too, was a mighty fine horn - perhaps another alternative worth considering for college).
    Go for The Tone,

g

Well said- THE ANSWER ( Tenor)

Blowhard2
    How much Truth can this World stand? - Mose Allison:
    Borgani Pearl Silver Jubilee Tenor Ser No 195xxJ, or MK7 with Mauriat "MkVI" neck . Lamberson / M7/L7/J8 Marc Jean Ligs - RPC Blue 105R, - Fiberreed M

Ah great DR. G - coming from you, I now am lusting to try a Borg - even though (sigh......) I just bought a new CB pro model - which I love to death, but you know how these things go. I thought you were a Selmer die hard for life?!

I just love saxophones my man - period. If they play and sound good, I don't care what they are. I have on my lust list currently, a handmade Ramponi &C, and now I guess this Borgani. And I of course want to try a The Martin and a vintage Conn 10M (Although my Conn DKH modified 110M is supposed to have the same effect).

Where could one try out a Borg?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckSax View Post
    I thought you were a Selmer die hard for life?!
    I was - but I got over it about 5 years ago when I sold my last Selmer tenor.

As to where to try one? I bought my first one at SotW, then my second one at... SotW!
    Go for The Tone,

g

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast