P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Info on L7 HR Alto Brilhart Personaline (5 Digit) Mouthpiece?

Default Info on L7 HR Alto Brilhart Personaline (5 Digit) Mouthpiece?

Title states the obvious question.
    Any general info of what these mouthpieces are known for?
    Any good?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Info on L7 HR Alto Brilhart Personaline (5 Digit) Mouthpiece?

Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007 Peterogping's Avatar

They are very good. At least the two L5, that i have owned, were. In my memory they had a clean and straight tone with some warmth, but not as warm as a NY USA Meyer, and not as beautiful as a short shank Soloist. Very good players with a disciplined tone. Dolphy played a HR Brilhart Personaline on alto.
    I saw the ebay item, but it is too expensive for me.
    Soprano: Martin Handcraft, ARB HR 5* mpc, Charles Bay lig.
    Alto: King Marigaux, Wolfe Tayne #5 / MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Guy Hawkins #7 HR, Brilhart brass lig / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

About how much do Alto Personaline go for?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

I've seen them over $200 at times, even $250. Not sure whether they sell fast at that price though. Tenors, as usual, are scarcer and pricier.

I got my Personalines (see below) back around 2000 when they were still mostly forgotten. I think each cost $50-60!

A strange thing - or maybe not so strange, given that Brilhart tended to change tip openings regularly and not advertise it: Most Personaline tenor pieces you'll find are relatively more closed than the altos. My L5 alto and L3 tenor respond about the same with the same strength reed - ie, pretty much as Peterogping characterized them.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Quote Originally Posted by paulwl View Post
    A strange thing - or maybe not so strange, given that Brilhart tended to change tip openings regularly and not advertise it: Most Personaline tenor pieces you'll find are relatively more closed than the altos. My L5 alto and L3 tenor respond about the same with the same strength reed - ie, pretty much as Peterogping characterized them.
    Actually, Brilhart did publicise that the Personalines were two numbers smaller than the regular Brilharts. See this brochure:BrilhartKatalog1.JPG
    Alto: King Marigaux, Wolfe Tayne #5 / MC Gregory Master 5A 18M mpc., Charles Bay ligature / Pierret Super Artiste, Otto Link "Master Link" #3 mpc, Charles Bay soprano lig.
    Tenor: King Zephyr Military 265xxx, Guy Hawkins #7 HR, Brilhart brass lig / Brilhart Streamline Tonalin (Great Neck) #4, Charles Bay lig.

Whoa! Neat ad Peter. Thank you!

So my L3 is off the bottom of the chart...I'll bet it's been opened up since new.

Do you have a date for the ad?
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Paul. Sorry, I have no date for the ad. I can tell you that in the USPTO files is registered that Arnold Brilhart, East Neck Road, Huntington, NY, registered the trade mark "Personaline" on March 13. 1951, with first use date: 1951-02-23.

Good enough - gives a start date anyway.

I just now got a pristine Personaline W(hite) L6 tenor in the mail. It plays great - combining power, quick attack, and smooth flowing quality, as advertised - on my 1929 Conn Chu with reeds in the 3 range.

This will no doubt replace my L3.