P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Selmer Reference Alto vs Buffet S3 Prestige vs Yani A992?

Question Selmer Reference Alto vs Buffet S3 Prestige vs Yani A992?

According to my knowledge,all of them have a dark and warm tone.

Which I think would be a great feature to my taste for classical.

And I would like to know which one would have a better tone for classical playing.

Please describe their features if you have ever played these horns.Thanks!

Default Re: Selmer Reference Alto vs Buffet S3 Prestige vs Yani A992?

Please keep in mind that no two horns of the same brand and model will sound and feel the same.
    Any opinion given here on any horn eventually could not be repeated for yourself. Your own judgment and comparison experience is much more relevant and significant.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Florian is correct. But a while ago, I was on the hunt for a new Ref 54 and I played several at different locations. After I bought one from Dave Kessler (after playing three examples), I also had the opportunity to play two more. Every one of the Ref 54s I played had the same tonal characteristics, e.g., a deep sonority that I just don't hear in other altos. At about the same time I was testing Yamaha 82Z altos and none of them sounded the same. They were as DIS-similar as the Ref 54's were similar.

I chose MY Ref 54 because of the response - it seemed to be the best of the bunch before I bought it. The two I played after buying were equal to the one I bought. One came from Kessler, too, so both horns were similar most likely because of the excellent set-up.

I've also owned an A992. While I love Yanagisawa saxophones, especially their sopranos, I haven't been THAT fond of their altos, although they are fine instruments.

I've been told that new Buffets are Chinese-made. Does that make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Given that info (if it is true), I'd probably go with the Selmer or the Yanagisawa. Are there well-made Chinese saxophones out there? probably, but at this stage in my life I'd rather go elsewhere. Oh, if I could test one (or many, like Florian says), I may change my mind, but the good thing is that I don't have to.

To the classical aspects, I'll bet you could play classical saxophone on almost anything as long as it was in tune and all the tone holes sealed. DAVE
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post

I've been told that new Buffets are Chinese-made. Does that make a difference? Maybe, maybe not. Given that info (if it is true), I'd probably go with the Selmer or the Yanagisawa. Are there well-made Chinese saxophones out there? probably, but at this stage in my life I'd rather go elsewhere. Oh, if I could test one (or many, like Florian says), I may change my mind, but the good thing is that I don't have to.
    The S3 Prestige is made by Keilwerth in Germany. The 400 and 100 series are the ones made in China.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Saxy251: Thanks for the clarification. I know that the older Buffets were okay - a friend of mine has one (an alto) that is years old and loves it. I had a Buffet soprano I bought new in 1959 or so that was mediocre. DAVE
    Dave