P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Buying Dilemma

Default Buying Dilemma

I currently play a student model Alto and am looking to get my first Tenor Sax. Near my budget is a used YTS 62, a Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series (least expensive of my options, asking $1600), and an intermediate Kessler Deluxe, or, and this would be stretching the budget quite thin, the Kessler Sonus. Of the 4, I love the sound of the Sonus and YTS 62. The only one available to me to try before I play, is the Cannonball since its a local CL ad. Im curious on your guys' advice. I like to play classical romance, want to get into some jazz and I like to play the current popular music such as Adele. I really like the look of the Kessler Custom Deluxe Intermediate model in the black, the best. I do know not to buy a Sax based on looks though. Thoughts?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Default Re: Buying Dilemma

Well, most probably the YTS 62 would be the most versatile of all these and the one which will probably best retain its value in time.

I don’t know the Kessler saxophones from direct experience but I do know the Cannonball and they can be very nice saxophones BUT I wouldn’t immediately associate one of those with the playing of a classical romance.

Our experience with a certain sax could differ completely from yours. You will have to playtest them yourself or you willnot know. There is no choice to give you advice on a brand and model in general because each saxophone although the same brand an model is different.
    Try before you buy.

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

The Cannonball is least expensive at $1600 if I read you right? No way a Kessler Deluxe costs that NEW! Their Handmade and Sonus yes but not a Deluxe. A used Deluxe should be somewhere between $500 - $700 tops. I have a five year old Kessler and it has never disappointed so if you have to buy sight unseen that would be okay. Of course the YTS is good. The Sonus hasn't been out long enough to be able to get a used one and I've not seen any reviews out side of Kessler's own. Of course with their reputation, I would seriously consider a review of theirs legit and not nearly as biased as perhaps from some big marketer. I've not played enough Cannonballs to provide a realistic opinion. One wasn't set up right and the other was just okay but not enough to make me put down my Kessler.

So, for used horns, they've already taken the big hit in depreciation over the new horns, if that is a major factor. Go with the best horn you can afford. If they are all setup properly, go with the one that floats your boat the most. Sounds like the YTS or Sonus but the Sonus you'll have to buy new and it'll come playing right out of the box. Sounds like the YTS is set up as well but the Sonus is quite a bit more. I'm a fan of Kesslers, so I'd be inclined to support them but you won't go wrong with the Yamaha for sure. It's a pity you have so many choices! Have fun agonizing over this one!!

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by florian View Post
    Try before you buy.
    ........He said he can try only one...... not much of a choice then

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

If someone put those 4 models in front of me, on paper, and said "which is the best" ?...it'd have to be the YTS-62.

Wait..that's exactly what this thread is doing, really.....so, I agree, in the absence of playtesting all of them and going on things such as tried-and-true reputation, familiarity of tonal quality, and ability to retain its value...it's the 62.

BTW, a used 62 shouldn't cost much over $1600. If the price of it is over $1900, talk the seller down:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...dmd=1&_ipg=200

Also, regarding looks/finish: consider that when you buy a colored or fauxed horn finish...unless it is literally PLATED (and be careful because some companies use semantics which suggest it is plated when it is not)...all it is is a colored lacquer of some sort. And while it looks mighty sexy near-new....it doesn't aesthetically wear very well.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    If someone put those 4 models in front of me, on paper, and said "which is the best" ?...it'd have to be the YTS-62.
    I agree. I would also speculate that it would be the best of the four (from a versatility standpoint) in satisfying the unique requirements involved in playing a combination of "classical romance," jazz, and Adele.