Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Urgent Help Needed...

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Urgent Help Needed...

dun be brand conscious. choose the horn that has better chemistry with you
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

Hi the new 62II is way brighter than the original 62 so if you feel the series III is bright (what modern players like apparently) you may be better off keeping your current sax to avoid being dissapointed. I can only confirm what Bandmommy has already told you, that only you and you alone need to play the saxes and then get the one that floats your boat and for another 2pence if neither do stay with what you have.

Kenny
    never a dull moment when playing your horn

Forum Contributor 2011

I had to go back to the OP to understand the issue here, and I'm still a bit confused.
    Quote Originally Posted by Efsax View Post
    I currently play the YAS-475. ... An opportunity just came up for me to do a a trade-in. I have to choose between the YAS-62 and the Selmer Super Action 80 Serie III (those are the only two horns available and both are coming at very good prices). ... I've never played these horns before and may not get the chance to play the them side by side before picking one.
    Are you saying that you won't be able to playtest either one, or that you will be able to play them, just not side-by-side? The answer makes a huge difference.

If you won't be able to play either one, then don't trade unless the price is a terrific deal and you're willing to gamble on getting a horn that may turn out to be crap.

If you can play one and not the other, only consider the one you can play. If you like it, get it. If not, don't.

If you can play both at different times, just not together side by side, then play both and see which one feels best to you.

Also consider the possibility that you may prefer the horn you already have to either of these specific horns. They both might be problem horns, regardless of brand and model.
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Distinguished SOTW Member RandyJ's Avatar
    Belle Harbor-Greenwich, CT and Grindelwald Switzerland

"I've been on and off saxophones since I was in High school. I am 25 now and I play more often. On the path of taking it professional."

If you are planning or beginning your path as a professional saxophonist i.e. making a living from performing/recording whatever I'd tell you don't obsess over the horn you are playing or want to get. Personal communication, marketing, legalese knowledge of the industry and several more important topics and things to learn need to be at the top of your list.

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

I recently had the port unity Play a several of the same horn make model finish etc. not one sounded or played just like the other. Simillar, indeed, some brighter some darker some smooth some a bit more clunky feeling.

First time for me that I had the opportunity to do this. Very informative experience.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzaferri View Post
    I recently had the port unity Play a several of the same horn make model finish etc. not one sounded or played just like the other. Simillar, indeed, some brighter some darker some smooth some a bit more clunky feeling.

First time for me that I had the opportunity to do this. Very informative experience.
    That is exactly the experience everbody would have trying this. It is exactly what i am trying to tell again and again. You simply can't give anyone an advice which horn to buy without having tried the horn for yourself, it doesn't make sense. Each Sax is different. It would be great if we could get this information through to all the beginners and amateurs out there asking this again and again.
    You don't help these people if you say: take this or take that. By this they will learn nothing.

Forum Contributor 2013

Not only would I advocate "play before buying", Ialso advocate buying the very same sax you like from play testing. Don't base your decision on buying the same model that a store uses as a demonstrator and then hands you a brand new horn in the box that you haven't tested. Same model saxes are, at best, similar, not identical. Every horn really has it's own identity. If you play test one you have to have tell them to wrap it up and take it, not another one in a box.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

SOTW Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Also consider the possibility that you may prefer the horn you already have to either of these specific horns..
    +1. The only reason to trade in your present horn for another one is if you like the other one better. How can you know that without playing it? And I definitely wouldn't deal with a shop or dealer who won't let me playtest the horn!!

Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar

Buy whatever has the best re-sale opportunity. You may go through many horns in your search. Many here say, "Don't buy unless you play-test", but I'd swear some of those very same posters have discussed their e-bay purchases on these boards. I bought my first two "professional" saxes after weeks of driving around and play-testing everything I could get my hands on. Now both are "back-up" horns. My main alto and Tenor both are e-bay finds - purchased from a photo and a prayer.

Of COURSE play-testing is the best option. And of COURSE each saxophone is its own entity, not comparable to other versions of the same brand and model. Those things have been preached over and over here on SOTW.

But the OP said he may not have the opportunity to play-test first (make comparisons, if you will). Like Fader just posted, it IS possible to make a decision absent playing the thing and then being happy with the decision. I've done that many times.

Yes, I could afford the occasional "dog", but for the most part, my opinions about the various models were accurate when I bought sight-unseen. And even if the purchased horn has problems, models like the 62 or the Serie III could probably be brought up to snuff by a competent technician.

The OP is shopping for opinions on the two horns he mentioned - and I think he has received what he asked for, plus other well-meaning advice. I hope he reports back as to how it turned out. DAVE
    Dave

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by florian View Post
    You don't help these people if you say: take this or take that. By this they will learn nothing.
    How 'bout take neither? As I can't stand either horn...

Grumps has a point. But many folks on SOTW who previously went beyond the scope of an OP's initial question (including me at times) have been thoroughly trounced for doing that - going beyond the basic question. In this series, I tried to just stick to the question - and then got beat up by others who expanded on the basic question.

To expand on it now, I agree with Grumps. Neither of those instruments would interest me.

And Florian, it wasn't my goal to teach anyone. All I tried to do was answer the question. I'm trying to assume that OP's know enough already. If they turn out to be 13-year old newbies, so be it. DAVE
    Dave

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

Ya knooowwww . . .

The 475's not a bad horn. Since the neck and the mpc are very important in a horn's sound, intonation and other factors, there is another option - an after-market neck and, if necessary, a change in mouthpiece. I can't speak for the alto and tenor, but I played a 475 soprano for several years and it was a very good sax.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Forum Contributor 2014

My 2 cents: Just keep what you have, it's a fine set up - save your money, and practice. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Efsax View Post
    Hello House,

Please I need your advice.

I've been on and off saxophones since I was in High school. I am 25 now and I play more often. On the path of taking it professional.

I currently play the YAS-475. I have a Meyer HR 6M (refaced by phil-tone) and a Bechleer Belite 7. I felt the sound of the 475 is a tad bit too light when I was using the Beechler Belite, so I decided to go for the Meyer which helped a bit.

An opportunity just came up for me to do a a trade-in. I have to choose between the YAS-62 and the Selmer Super Action 80 Serie III (those are the only two horns available and both are coming at very good prices).

I seriously need your opinion and advice. I've never played these horns before and may not get the chance to play the them side by side before picking one.

Thanks in advance....

Hi Everyone,

Thanks a mill for your advice... I really appreciate you all taking out time to help me out...

I guess I'll take your advice and stick with the 475 for now...

Thanks once more guys...

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

One thing that really changes the ound of my yas23 is a warburton neck. Not suggesting one necessarily but it did make a very noticable difference in response and tone. Response is better, tone is just different and is such a personal thing some would like it some not

If your sax is comfortable now, and doesn't have unusual intonation issues figure out what you want in your sound and try different mpces that are associated with the general type of sound you want. Med vs large chamber baffle size etc. lots of great threads here on that.

Keep in mind that the most impactive part on sound is the part behind the mouthpiece. If you want a different sound perhaps reading Dave Leibmans book on developing a personal sax sound will give you some ideas. At 25 bucks it was the cheapest thing I spent on and had the biggest impact on my sound.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12