P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just won a 10M on ebay!!

Default Re: Just won a 10M on ebay!!

STM NYs are pretty much created to play on Conns.
    '41 Conn 6m VIII (Luci), '68 Selmer Mark VI (Fauna), early Yamaha YBS-62(Eleanor)

Quote Originally Posted by EsbSpecial View Post
    STM NYs are pretty much created to play on Conns.
    Quite agreed on that, I ended up slapping an STM NY 8 with Hemke 3s on the 10M I bought from Jaye last summer... and does she sing :-)
    But I confess I'm keeping an eye open for a Soloist (an H or an I, but they run scarce these days).

I had a STM NY 6* I used on my 10m until it got stolen. I am waiting for a modified one I picked up off of a fellow SOTW to arrive in the post - apparently, it has had an added "bite" to it.
    '41 Conn 6m VIII (Luci), '68 Selmer Mark VI (Fauna), early Yamaha YBS-62(Eleanor)

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Jeeeeeezus, dude...are you and your Conns a lightning rod for bad luck or sumthin' ?!!!!!!!

B27...glad you are enjoying it. That was a good one....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Ok. Just got back from lessons. My teacher is a monster player (To me anyway!)
    He played the 10M from top to bottom, whisper soft to screamin loud.. Said nice tight horn, no problems, sounded nice. Than I gave him my old martin medalist. He blew 2 notes, stopped and said "no contest". He ran the martin thru the same workout. I hate to admit it but the Martin blew the 10m out the door. It had a much richer sound whether he asked it to scream or whisper. It wasn't even close.

Then he did a side by side with his Mark 6 siting there and my $400 martin held its own to his $6000 selmer. So I guess I just suffered from the old "grass is greener" syndrome and need to be content with what I have.

10M for sale........ Ha. Of course it was suggested I keep them both... how can I pay for and hide that 3rd tenor????????

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

I learned that about 45 years ago. At the time I had a Zephyr, 3 Mark VIs and a SBA tenor. I didn't have time to go get my tenor and my roommate loaned me has Martin Indiana. Years later, I now always keep a Martin for my tenor. They just command the tenor and bari horns IMO and have a "rugged" sound that can be controlled. I currently use a Martin HC Imperial from the 30s.

Forum Contributor 2012

Wait...but you already paid for the Third Tenor, right ?

IMHO, Martins and Conns are different. I cannot say one is better than the other...but I do stick by my personal impression that the Conn is a more versatile horn. I also find them wider-toned.

You should be able to get what you paid for it, however. Heck, I'll buy it from you for the auction price, if you want.....quick sale, I can pay you by this weekend...PM me if so.

Forum Contributor 2011

Dayum ... there goes my $400 Martin Medalist tenor
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Yes it's already paid for.. just borrowed money against myself. I want to keep playing with it a little. I like how it plays. I wish I had one of the STM NY Mpcs fhat was mentioned to try to see how it plays with that.
    I also recognize that in a line of saxs not all sound the same. Maybe this 10M is
    not as sweet as most. All that I can say was in listening to the side by side my jaw was on the ground at the difference.
    So I am not quite ready to sell... yet.

Snap decesions are never a good thing to make.

Forum Contributor 2012

Damn...there goes my $500 10M......

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    Jeeeeeezus, dude...are you and your Conns a lightning rod for bad luck or sumthin' ?!!!!!!!

You have no idea.

At least it was my YTS-61 that got smashed up a few months ago instead of my 10m at a gig...

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post

Correction sir, that IS a good one And with an Eric Falcon STM NY 8 and Hemkes it even is a really good one. Although it's only me blowing it

A final update. I had a couple people who ar better than me play the 10M and the opinion was that it just does not have that 10M sound. I know that not all horns are the same and this one did have some neck dimpling or repair, maybe that effected the tone. Anyway I threw back on fleabay, hopefully I'll get my $ back out of it. So someday maybe I'll try another 10M if only I can figure out how to sneak that one past my wife.............

Yeah, get one from the early '60s with the different bell brace (but underslung neck). I had one of these (800,xxx series) and it shore sounded like a 10M to me! Perhaps a little cleaner and louder sounding than the classic ones from the '30s, but it still had that characteristic dark, woody sound.

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bob L View Post
    So someday maybe I'll try another 10M if only I can figure out how to sneak that one past my wife.............

Just tell her the new 10M is the old one back from the shop!
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    Just tell her the new 10M is the old one back from the shop!
    This man is both a gentleman and a scholar. Heed his words.

Har. Except that I told her I would sell one of other tenors to pay for the 10M, and now I want them all! Maybe if I point out the cost of her shoe collection......

Forum Contributor 2013

Are you trying to get a horn or a spot on the couch?
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12