Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Exclamation Do I have fake Vandoren V16s?

I just got my first box of Vandoren V16 3.5 reeds. The package was smaller than the other vandorens. When I opened it, i saw that the reeds were not in the plastic "optimal humidity" packaging.

Another things is that on the bottom where it says "Suprieure Vandoren Paris France V16 3 1/2" the printing is very blurry compared to the other Vandoren reeds.

The reed holders seems to be different as well.

Having no experience with the V16, I can't really tell if those are fake or not, but they play just fine.

[I attached images, hopefully they work]

Reed.jpgReed holder.jpgBox.jpg

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

Default Re: Do I have fake Vandoren V16s?

I think you just got some old stock - the individual plastic wrap on each reed is a relatively new thing. I don't use V16, so I'm not 100% sure re the packaging change, but the smaller box looks familiar to me. Did you get it from a reputable dealer?

Distinguished SOTW member daigle65's Avatar

If they're fake, they did a good job.
    I also think it's old stock, maybe 5 years old.

They do laser printing now, so the ink probably ran a bit on the old ones, making it blurry.
    " M'enfin ! " ....Gaston Lagaffe

Thanks for the feedback, from playing them, they don't seem to be fake. I mean they seal well and play well.

I'd say the dealer is quite reputable, although it's the first time I'm buying from them, their shop is pretty nice and is located rather in the city center.

If I somehow find out that they are fake, I'll definitely make a post here.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

They aren't fake, imo. As others said, they are older stock. They should be perfectly fine.

I find V16s to run a bit harder than other brands, so a 3.5 is pretty hard. No problem, though, if that size is working for you. Over the years, I've tried a lot of reeds, but keep going back to the V16 (on tenor).

Quote Originally Posted by JL View Post
    They aren't fake, imo. As others said, they are older stock. They should be perfectly fine.

I find V16s to run a bit harder than other brands, so a 3.5 is pretty hard. No problem, though, if that size is working for you. Over the years, I've tried a lot of reeds, but keep going back to the V16 (on tenor).
    Thanks,

I used blue box Vandoren 3s and just wanted to move up in strength. I find reeds with higher strength to have a much fuller sound and I really like it.

Distinguished SOTW Member

Is there enough money in reeds that counterfeiters would waste their time doing so?
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Vandoren Authentication Site:

http://www.vandoren.fr/fightagainstfake/

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy lee View Post
    Is there enough money in reeds that counterfeiters would waste their time doing so?
    Estimated cost (material & manuf. costs) for 5 "Asian" Tenor reeds $1.00. Estimated cost of counterfeit packaging $1.00. Vandoren is kind enough to pick up all the marketing costs. I'm pretty sure that there are Asian reed producers who have the economy of scale to get these or lower costs. Discounted price of 5 real Vandoren Java Tenor Reeds $18.00 - $21.00.
    Estimated profit - $16.00 to $19.00 a box. not bad. A lot of room to play with the price and still come out great.

Of course this is just speculation, but I'll bet Vandoren makes a very tidy profit on their reeds, even with French taxes and labor costs.

Quote Originally Posted by daigle65 View Post
    Vandoren Authentication Site:

http://www.vandoren.fr/fightagainstfake/
    They ask for some kind of reed code...
    I haven't came across a single Vandoren reed that has a reed code on it. Is that a new thing as well?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

perhaps they mean the package?

Quote Originally Posted by yliuk View Post
    They ask for some kind of reed code...
    I haven't came across a single Vandoren reed that has a reed code on it. Is that a new thing as well?
    Whoa! What's up with that? I assumed they meant a code on the box, but apparently it's on the back of the reed. It must be a very new thing.

Just checked a student's discarded Vandoren clarinet reed.
    Yep, they now have a code on the back.

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by yliuk View Post
    I just got my first box of Vandoren V16 3.5 reeds. The package was smaller than the other vandorens. When I opened it, i saw that the reeds were not in the plastic "optimal humidity" packaging.

Another things is that on the bottom where it says "Suprieure Vandoren Paris France V16 3 1/2" the printing is very blurry compared to the other Vandoren reeds.

The reed holders seems to be different as well.

Having no experience with the V16, I can't really tell if those are fake or not, but they play just fine.

[I attached images, hopefully they work]

Reed.jpgReed holder.jpgBox.jpg
    Yeah, looks like the configuration of a couple of boxes I bought about 5 years ago as well.