Antigua Winds
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Default RIP Pinetop Perkins

Mississippi Delta Blues legend Pinetop Perkins passed away at home in Austin, Texas, Monday, March 21st. He was 97 years old.

http://www.americanbluesscene.com/20...#ixzz1plz0NvPj
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Default Re: RIP Pinetop Perkins

Another unique talent gone- I loved his album with my favourite Blues Guitarist, Ronnie Earl.

Blowhard2
    How much Truth can this World stand? - Mose Allison:
    Borgani Pearl Silver Jubilee Tenor Ser No 195xxJ, or MK7 with Mauriat "MkVI" neck . Morgan Fry Large Chamber HR marbled 112 , Lamberson / M7/L7/J8 Marc Jean Ligs - Forestone / Fiberreed synthetics, Ligaphone cane reeds

Distinguished SOTW Member belliott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMusicMan View Post
    Mississippi Delta Blues legend Pinetop Perkins passed away at home in Austin, Texas, Monday, March 21st. He was 97 years old.

http://www.americanbluesscene.com/20...#ixzz1plz0NvPj
    MartinMusicMan, Pinetop died a year ago on March 21.
    Dum Spiro Spero......While I breathe, I hope

Forum Contributor 2011

uh ... yeah ... I actually knew that ... I, uh, I'm remembering him on the anniversary of his death ... yeah, that's it
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Woke upa dis mornin (YEAH!)
    Realised I wasa dead (a year!) etc

But seriously: Don't worry about it MMM. I'm sure Pinetop wouldn't care. In fact he'd probably have found it very funny.
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

From Wiki:

Perkins was born in Belzoni, Mississippi, United States.[1] He began his career as a guitarist, but then injured the tendons in his left arm in a fight with a choirgirl in Helena, Arkansas.

Excellent!

And here's a nice quote: "I can't play piano like I used to either. I used to have bass rolling like thunder. I can't do that no more. But I ask the Lord, please forgive me for the stuff I done trying to make a nickel."
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Forum Contributor 2011

I actually did know it. But I forgot. I'm sure I found it more funny than Pinetop did. May he rest in peace.

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by RootyTootoot View Post
    injured the tendons in his left arm in a fight with a choirgirl in Helena, Arkansas.
    It does not get any better than that. A life well-lived.

Distinguished SOTW Member Fader's Avatar

It's news to me....

Uh.....

Who's pine top wassaname?

Sorry to hear about Top's passing. Great blues and boogie piano player. He used to get through DC once in a while. My band did a couple of shows with him and his band. Very nice cat. Hadn't heard the story about the choirgirl.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009

Is it this Pinetop who is referred to in the tune/album "I Saw Pinetop Spit Blood"?

Orpheo Signature Black Nickel Bari
    Runyon Smooth Bore 4, Dukoff 7 with Hahn Synthetics
    Orpheo Signature Black Nickel Tenor with Jumbo Java 95