Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished SOTW Member CooolJazzz's Avatar

Default Re: Beginners-Intermediates - fundamentals are a nuisance. Don't waste your time

Amusing thread.
    I happen to appreciate gary's sarcasm and see no inherent rudeness in it. No matter how skillfully sarcasm is delivered however, someone will always be offended by it or write it off as rudeness.
    A little sarcasm now and then is good for the soul...a great release...like a good old fashioned rip-roaring fart. Some people see the humor in a big loud fart. Some think farting in public is simply rude. I say, if it makes you feel better, let 'er rip. I'll probably even laugh as long as it's not aimed in my general direction. Right now I'm just laughing at the ones complaining about the smell. Sometimes sarcasm, like a good fart, is best appreciated from a reasonable distance.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008 The A Train's Avatar

Default Re: Beginners-Intermediates - fundamentals are a nuisance. Don't waste your time

Quote Originally Posted by CooolJazzz View Post
    Some think farting in public is simply rude. I say, if it makes you feel better, let 'er rip. I'll probably even laugh as long as it's not aimed in my general direction. Right now I'm just laughing at the ones complaining about the smell
    The thing I hate about smelling a fart is the fact that I inhaled air that just came out of someones bung hole

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post

Do not practice long tones, scales, arpeggios, etudes, sight-reading, ear-training or other such traditional fundamental exercises.
    You forgot theory. No need to waste your time on that either.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by warp x View Post
    You forgot theory. No need to waste your time on that either.
    I am glad we agree...........

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 warp x's Avatar

I'm really grateful to learn from Gary's experience. It might be good to learn the basics and build skills and all that stuff but this is a community and this man is SHARING. I can dig it.

Quote Originally Posted by The A Train View Post
    The thing I hate about smelling a fart is the fact that I inhaled air that just came out of someones bung hole
    Even farting has a tradition. Just ask Wynton Marsalis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_P%C3%A9tomane

Gary, I don't agree with you, but I will say that it is difficult to know when to put some of these things aside. When does practicing a half an hour of long tones quit doing what it is supposed to do? A 60 something jazz player told me that if she doesn't practice scales/patterns for a few days she starts to lose her chops - even after 50 years of playing! Should everybody pratice scales all their lives?

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

well, pay attention to what Sigurd Rasher says starting at 4:52 : “ And now, I want to say this to ALL of you! After more than 25 years of professional playing , I know better now that when I started, That I have to practice the fundamentals everyday! Embouchure, breath control, vibrato, tongue and fingering. Try it my friends and you will se.......it works!”

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

Wow, this is ....well wow.

I got Gary's tone right from the get go. Some obviously didn't.

Those who feign outrage at Gary's post simply haven't been here long enough to know the man. For those who've been around here pre '03 you'd know Gary. You'd have conversed with him in hundreds of threads. You'd have discussed stuff via PM and as you got to know him, perhaps even via email.

You'd know that this one post is a fart in the thunderstorm of helpful advice he's given to beginners and pros alike over the years here. You'd know the many many times he's gone out of his way to help myself and many others in ways I can't even count.

You'd know that on so many occasions, Gary has been the voice of moderation and a force for good on this forum. You'd know that on so many occasions Gary has been the only experienced player to answer the newbies questions.

But some don't know. Some have come late to the party. We call this the house that Harri built, but in truth, this communal storehouse of knowledge we all partake from, was and is built by those who contribute to it. And no one posting above has contributed to this community on the level that Gary has.

So before all you new kids on the block pass judgement, take a minute to think about the fact that the very community in which we all participate was and is built by Gary and those long time contributors like him. Long service earns a man the right to speak his mind on occasion.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123