Antigua Winds

Default Does this look normal for a Monopole alto?

I recently bought a nice Monopole I (I think) alto from ebay. It seems to have been refinished in frosted nickel plate, and it's had a few dents taken out over the years. It has a great tone though, and I'm very happy with it. (apart from the questionable keywork design)

My question to those of you who own one is, what are the left hand table keys supposed to look like? I have a feeling my table keys may have been bent out of place. The C# doesn't spring back so well and the G# is at a funny angle. Saxpics.com has no decent photos of table keys, except for maybe this, which is inconclusive. I've attached pictures of mine.

Thanks!

P1060616.jpgP1060618.jpgP1060630.jpgP1060621.jpg

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Does this look normal for a Monopole alto?

Check with Mike S here, the tech. He owns and knows these horns.

Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007

i believe the g sharp should be more or less flush with the outside of the b fllat and the c sharp. i haven't looked at mine for a while.

whats the number, if its a later one, it might have come strung from the factory like that, their quality deteriorated on the later ones...

there were some nickel finished ones, it might not neccessarily have been refinished.

That's what I thought, thanks. Typically, when the G# articulation thing is up, should it affect the B key (As in, if you press the low B, the G# will open)? That isn't happening on this one, only the C# will open the G# key.

It's not that late a model, the serial number is 85xx. It has the older, more solid looking right hand thumb hook, and the engraving is a little less elaborate. I would have thought it was the original finish too, but signs point to it being replated. The plating is over the engraving, and some areas of worn metal, such as the the strap hook, and the high D key, have plating over the wear spots. Can't wait to gig on it though, I love the tone!

Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007

honestly i usually disable the articulation on mine as i find it makes the bell keys very heavy, but it should hit the low B as well.

they are remarkable horns but very difficult to get just right. they need extremly thin pads i hav generally had to make them on the ones i have overhauled (trim the leather off the back to make the pad thinner). also the toneholes usually need a lot of leveling, but in the end you will have a great horn.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Love that frosted finish. the G# is definitely bent.
    Life is too short for long tones