P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Buffet Dynaction Tenor - thoughts?

Default Buffet Dynaction Tenor - thoughts?

Hi everyone. I'd appreciate some feedback on the Buffet Dynaction (not SDA) tenors from anyone who has played/owned one. I've read about how some players compare them favourably to the Selmer SBA- true or just hype? I am due to try one next month alongside a Selmer Radio Improved. This buffet appears to be in great original condition. Thanks

Default Re: Buffet Dynaction Tenor - thoughts?

I had one for over ten years. They are sweet sounding French instruments. I purchased it because I quickly tired of using shared college owned Mark VI tenors when I was playing chamber music in college. It was much better to have my own horn that no one else was messing with. The Buffets do not have the modern design of the Super Balanced Action Selmers. The left hand pinky cluster is more of an American style and the right hand is not rotated like more modern instruments. That said, pitch and mechanism are very good. I found the sound to be a bit more focused and a bit smaller than comparable Selmers. They are FANTASTIC classical instruments. I used it for undergraduate and graduate wind ensemble, chamber music, solo recital and Jazz ensemble with good results. I did end up having a Mark VI neck fitted to the Buffet and found it much more to my liking. That particular neck was a dog on any Mark VI that it was tried on, so it is not a good piece of advice for others.

If you are looking for a vintage screamer, the Buffet is not for you. I trade mine about 20 years ago for a King Super 20 and have never regretted the decision.
    "Inspiration is for amateurs, Just show up and get the work done!" ---- Chuck Close

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JASA80 View Post
    Hi everyone. I'd appreciate some feedback on the Buffet Dynaction (not SDA) tenors from anyone who has played/owned one. I've read about how some players compare them favourably to the Selmer SBA- true or just hype? I am due to try one next month alongside a Selmer Radio Improved. This buffet appears to be in great original condition. Thanks

Yes, I had one for a couple of years, it is every bit as good as an SBA, but different. has a kind of dark but sweet tone. I didn't like the action though so in the end I got a Selmer. Then traded that in for a Conn.

Thanks guys- very interesting. I think two things seem to be observed about the Dynaction and you point them out- a slightly smaller sound better for classical players in general and an action that is not as smooth as a selmer. All this said however, they look like very well crafted instruments and a mint example seems to go for an absolute fraction of the price of a comparable vintage Selmer. Plenty to think about-thanks

Distinguished SOTW Member Saxland's Avatar

I have a Dynaction tenor that I really dig. With a Ref 36 neck or a Barone neck it is ergonomically the most comfortable horn I have ever played on. The reason is it matches my center of balance, my shoulders are square and the weight of my head mostly on top of the shoulders instead of infront. With the original neck and a Gemini harness, and the hook lowered the shoulders and hands are all centered but the head protrudes forward which is not a problem most of the time, but I manage TMJ so it can be. With a neck strap and the original neck my right thumb will end up hurting.

The keywork seems inline but rotated to the right a bit. The tuning is off with Barone and ref 36 these necks though, so I will be having a Gloger neck made with a proper neck angle for me so my jaw is happy. Intonation in amazing with the original neck.
    http://www.smallsjazzclub.com
    CANADA'S National Jazz Radio Station is www.Jazz.FM

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JASA80 View Post
    Thanks guys- very interesting. I think two things seem to be observed about the Dynaction and you point them out- a slightly smaller sound better for classical players in general and an action that is not as smooth as a selmer.
    I would disagree and say it's absolutely great for jazz. They don't have a small sound, well mine didn't.

Lovely horns ... But very heavy in comparison to the SBA.

I "upgraded" from a SA to an early SDA for better playability. Though my SBA is my #1 horn, sometimes I wonder why my SDA is #2 !

W.

Pete- thanks- I stand corrected. I hope to check one out and find out!
    Saxland- thanks for your observations -very helpful- the playing position with the original neck is something i'll have to try out comfort wise and see if I like.
    Thanks to all again.

Distinguished SOTW Member bfoster64's Avatar

My Buffet tenor is an early SDA. Compared to a Mark VI it has a bigger bore and slightly smaller tone holes. It plays accordingly. With a Barone neck I get plenty of volume out of it, though not as much as with my Super 20, whose bore feels similarly broad but whose tone holes are noticeably larger. Intonation of the SDA with the Barone neck is right on the money with a large chamber mpc, with just a little sharpness in the palm keys and a little flatness in the lowest altissimo notes, both still well within ordinary tolerances. The intonation with the Barone is actually a little better than with the stock neck. I realize you are talking about a DA not SDA but I can't imagine they changed the bore or tone holes that much from one to the next. They are great horns and without question remain one of the best values on the market.