P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: 1933 Buescher True-Tone alto (refurbished by VintageSax) w/ Protec case

Default 1933 Buescher True-Tone alto (refurbished by VintageSax) w/ Protec case

I bought this freshly refurbished True-Tone alto just over a year ago from VintageSax.com, but have to sell it now to help pay for college in light of recent events that have lightened my family's wallets.

My band director switched me to bari last summer, and while I still played the Buescher, it's only seen about 4 months of regular usage.

Gayle Fredenburgh at VintageSax did a great job fixing this one up. New pads, clean pearls, no dents or dings. In order to keep it this way, I'm shipping it in a contoured Pro Pac case by ProTec, as opposed to the stock vintage case (although, if you want that too, let me know).

VintageSax sold this alto to me for north of $1500. The ProTec website values their case at $194. Right now, my asking price is $1300 for both, plus shipping.

Serial Number is 265XXX
    Ships from Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Pictures can be found here: http://s1172.photobucket.com/albums/...her_True-Tone/

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Isn't this a New Aristocrat?

Default Re: 1933 Buescher True-Tone alto (refurbished by VintageSax) w/ Protec case

Sorry, J. Max is right, and I'm an idiot. Would it be possible for a moderator to change the title and post to reflect that?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

Default Re: 1933 Buescher True-Tone alto (refurbished by VintageSax) w/ Protec case

BTW Rathe, it might draw interest to include the stamping on the bottom back of the neck (under the octave ring). Most people shopping for a New Crat are recommended by professors, and will be interested to know the neck type. The marks are 01, **, and 3.
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

It's an 01 neck, i'll provide pictures tonight.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian paulwl's Avatar

That's a good neck, the one that was adopted for the series I Aristocrat. ** is most common and 3 the rarest (with supposedly the best altissimo range).
    Jazz = a man with a $5,000 horn driving a $500 car to a $50 gig.
    Conn, Buescher & Martin Saxes - Selmer & Conn Clarinets - Woodwind, Morgan, Link & Brilhart Mouthpieces - Alexander Reeds

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

I think that I used to own this horn and originally sold it to Gayle. If I'm right, it's an awesome player and I had it BEFORE the overhaul. Gayle's overhauls on vintage Bueschers are top notch. Someone snap this up!

I still feel stupid about messing up the name of the instrument I played for months, so in order to prove I wasn't trying to false advertise, I'm going to include a Rascher mouthpiece in the case. A friend gave it to me recently, as a late Christmas gift, but concerts and Sr. clinic and the like have forced me to focus on Bari, the result being that the mouthpiece has scarcely been used. It's a great match on the New Aristocrat, the two have a great synergy.

Also, my apologies for the lack of pictures of the neck number, I borrowed my friends camera for the pictures in the link of my original post, and my own camera isn't high-res enough to snap a decent picture of the number stamped on the neck. I hope to have the new pictures, including photos of the Caravan mouthpiece, up by the end of tomorrow night at the latest.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

The fact that a New Aristocrat is more valuable than a True Tone is pretty strong indication you weren't trying to falsely advertise.

Is it original lacquer?

As I recall, Gayle wasn't 100% certain, but she said it had probably been re-lacquered. Whoever re-lacquered it did a really nice job, though.

Uploaded 2 new pictures, one of the neck number and one of the mouthpiece. Also, I'm borrowing my friend's camera for at least a week, so I'll be able to provide pictures faster upon request.