P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Mildewed Yamaha Tenor case??

Unhappy Mildewed Yamaha Tenor case??

Well, I just bought my first Tenor horn. A Yamaha 23. Pretty sweet horn, but man, the case reeks! I didn't notice it in the music store(maybe because there were so many others?), but when I got it home, it couldn't stay inside!

What should I do? I spent most of what i saved for on the horn. I keep reading to just buy a new case. Any other options out there?

I appreciate ANY advice, as I do not want to put this back into this funky case!

Thanks, B

Forum Contributor 2008 saxxsymbol's Avatar

Default Re: Mildewed Yamaha Tenor case??

Put the open case in the sun for about 2 weeks is about your only hope with out gutting it.
    I am proud to be a Saxgourmet Endorsing Artist !

My set ups:
    Saxgourmet Super 400 tenor, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Saxgourmet Super 400 alto, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Steve Goodson Model SP Bari, Jody Jazz Classic 7
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

"The worst thing in the world for a musician is to get an opportunity you are not prepared for."

Forum Contributor 2013
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Return it to the store!

Its was the only one they had, I don't want to return it. I'd really like to keep it, just be able to fix it? The store really won't care, cause you can't plug it in, or hit it with a stick!

Distinguished SOTW Member BlueTrane2028's Avatar

They should have more than one 23, and the other cases are bound to be better, I'm with Bruce, take it back!
    Soprano – Olds "Pro SS" | Alto – 1940 King Zephyr | Tenor – 1970 Selmer Mark VI | Bari – YBS-62 | Clarinet – Buffet E-13 | Bachelor of Music – West Chester University

That was the only 23 they had; they had LOTS of altos, just this ONE tenor... believe me if they had more than one, it would already be back! If I called them, all they're going to say is "sorry, we don't have any more". Right?

They can order a standard protec or similar case. If not, ask for some money back ($50?) and get a protec contoured for about $100. Any tenor case should fit. The original case is no great thing anyway. If all else fails, put some dryer sheets inside and it may help.

good point, i'll try that.

...Update: Called the store, they said bring it (case) back and they gave me a brand new one! I don't know why I didn't think of that sooner! Like as soon as I opened the case for the first time! Anyhow, thanks for all the advice!

You might want to wipe the horn body down with a damp cloth (not wet!) and leave it out of the case for a few days. Sometimes the old case smell is on the horn metal but will go away.