P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorite muslim saxophone players

Forum Contributor 2008 lovesthesax's Avatar

Default Re: Favorite muslim saxophone players

err.. do we now have to start threads on favorite buddhist players and favorite zoroastrian players to make this fair?

Quite a few of the jazz giants embraced Islam actually at some point in their lives from Art Blakey to Jackie McLean.

I personally don't really care what religion a player is, as long as they make great music.
    =P

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

While not a Muslim, Gilad Atzmon grew up in Israel and the middle eastern influence can be heard in his playing.

One of my Fave modern jazz musicians. I really enjoy hearing improv music from other cultures.

Is the thread about Christian sax players about those who are practicing Christians or the genre of modern Christian music. I thought it might be the latter and did not bother to read.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

I don’t think anybody is suggesting discriminating any musicians on the ground of his or hers religious beliefs or any other ground for that matter.

Nevertheless it is an evident fact that this religion did and still does play a role in the life of those musician, predominately but not exclusively, of African American (or in the case or Abdullah Ibrahim South-African) descend and sometimes did influence their music. In many cases this was part of a movement which involved also political views.

Of course this was a phenomenon not unique to music and famously other people from all parts of society also took to practice Islam. Famously Cassius Clay became , in time, after being Cassius X, then Mohammed Alì. Cat Stevens of course, obviously not a Jazz musician, has converted too and became Yusuf Islam.

His music has been deeply influenced by this conversion.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

I think this is a cool idea, not because all Muslim sax players are going to be sounding pretty much the same, that is that there is an easily identifiable sub-genre, but that this thread can, and already has to some extent, raised an awareness of many players who have a different slant on music that some (many?) of us either aren't aware of, or have overlooked for some time. To broaden our awareness and knowledge of music in general.

Also, just to answer another question that has come up by some posting, "why a Muslim thread?", I would counter, "why a Christian sax" thread? Actually, "why a Sacred Sax forum area?", which is really about 99% not a Sacred Sax but a Sacred Christian Sax area - which is actually, when all is said and done, is at least a 90% Sacred Evangelical Christian Sax area. So I suppose a Muslim Sax thread, as long as it sticks to the music, itself, could certainly be justified.

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Praise and worship is an integral part of the modern evangelical christian church service. Every Sunday and Wednesday the music can go on for hours at a time. And it's not traditional church music played in traditional church style - it can be rock, blues, jazz or any modern style. It's a great opportunity for sax players and my experience has been that a saxophone is welcome most anywhere - and there are lots and lots of churches out there. I might be mis-informed but I don't think there is a similar praise and worship emphasis in other major religion services which may be why this sacred sax subform has a mostly christian bent.
    I am personally grateful for the opportunity to play sax in church. Without that I doubt if I'd be playing much or at all as there are only very limited opportunities (if any) in other venues for older weekend sax warriors like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    I might be mis-informed but I don't think there is a similar praise and worship emphasis in other major religion services which may be why this sacred sax subform has a mostly christian bent.
    There is an important muslim day that is called maulidi, I understand its purpose is expressing thanks to the community. During the maulidi, at least in east Africa, perhaps up to 7-8 bands will gather and take turns playing all evening and night up until the morning. The type of music is called kasuida and is performed by choirs with a great number of drums - singing beautiful, lamenting kind of melodies over some very hip, groovy 12/8 beats. Although I am not so knowledgeable about these issues, I think this must qualify as worship music. I am sure they might have used a saxophone in there as well, but the problem is that most of these fellows can't really afford any kind of modern instrument. Actually, I will see if I can "sit in" next time I am there... :-)

Cheers,
    Bjorn

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

Some gorgeous clips of Abdullah Ibrahim with a killer horn section up on youtube right now!

I had a chance to meet Ibrahim in Toronto one time after he played a solo show. It was like meeting a mountain.
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Quote Originally Posted by lovesthesax View Post
    err.. do we now have to start threads on favorite buddhist players...
    Wayne Shorter - but I was listening to him for many years before I became aware of that.

+1 to great music and "Thank you" to the producers for NOT including religious affiliation on liner notes.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

I am always interested in the beliefs/philosophies of my favorite players. For example, to know about Coltrane's inspiration for A Love Supreme sheds light on the work, whatever your own beliefs or lack of may be. Of course, there are those who listen to the music without any care for this. Fine, too. But, music can be an expression of deep feeling, it is not necessary irrelevant to have some understanding about where some of the inspiration of this feeling came from, be it religious, political, etc.
    alto: Selmer MK6 147xxx/ Northway Custom mouthpiece
    soprano: Mark 6 189xxx/ Ponzol .065

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz House's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RandyJ View Post
    People should get things in correct context;
    Muslims are a people, but Islam is not a religion. Religious faith is only a part of Islam. The rest is a socially engineered society with its own laws and customs that seriously conflict with American law.

I know several Muslim players that do not practice Islam at all because of what it teaches.

I predict this thread will go south very fast and will be removed by Harri!

JR
    ^??????

Islam is a religion.
    Soprano: Jean Baptiste Deluxe Curved Soprano, Bari Gold #8,#3 Alexander Superial reeds
    Tenor: Conn 10M Naked Lady, Sakshama Shorty 7*, #3S RJS reeds

Index of Common Questions!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Favorite Jewish saxophone players?

Judaism is a religion but many people who think of themselves as Jewish do not practice the religion.

Then there's klezmer music, sometimes called "Jewish jazz."
    The Martin "Official Music Man" tenor, Barone black tenor, The Martin baritone, Richards Martin Indiana alto, cheap Chinese soprano, Metalite mouthpieces, Plasticover reeds, Nord Electro 2, bunch of other instruments
    Wall Of Blues, youtube video, P-Town All-Stars, get Rich, Cannons (my band in the 60's) and Cannons record

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

anybody watch the clip...hello...is this thing on...?
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Thank you for posting the clip - simply beautiful.

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Swampcabbage View Post
    Well. The value of this thread is, for me, is imbedded in the mention of Shafi Hadi. I love his sound (I think he played on old Bundy or Buescher. He appears to still be alive but no mention of his presence after 1977 that I can find.
    A jazz forum has a thread on a guy trying to track down Shafi Hadi. He contacted Sue Mingus who told him she last contacted him in Pittsburgh some time after Mingus died. I looked on 411.com and they show a "Curtis D. Porter" who is age 84 in Homestead, Pa., just outside of Pittsburgh. 84 is the correct age given Hadi's birth date of Sept. 21, 1929. It sounds like he probably decided to just get on with his life away from the music business and any public presence at all.

I have no idea what religion, if any, Pharoah follows, but he did have this beautiful piece that was obviously inspired by Islam:

"If it ain't fun, I want no part of it, man. That's the only reason I play." - Phil Woods

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Despite the clearly muslim expression which means “ Praise G-d “ Paroah Sanders was clearly inspired by the more general current of mysticism which crossed music (Jazz and Rock) in the late ’60 and beginning of the ’70.

John Coltrane, Alice Coltrane, Archie Shepp, Pharoah Sanders, Carlos Santana, John McLaughlin all folks who produced great things which were acts of musical mysticism.

Every comment that I make on anything only ever represents my personal opinion. I don’t have any universal truth to spread or convey
    Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses.

Forum Contributor 2011 CardinalRule's Avatar

Sahib Shihab (birth name: Edmond Gregory)
    "It's not what you play, it's how you play it." Mary Lou Williams
    http://www.jazzconversations.com
    http://www.jaynpettingill.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12