Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Angry Overtone & Altissimo frustration!

I've been practicing long tone for a year now, and I still can't get to the 3rd overtone holding the low Bb, B, C on my tenor sax!

I tried to make the "focus" my airflow and make it faster, I also watched youtube vids, searched the web for tips but I just simply can't play the 3rd overtones or any altissimo notes!
    I mean I can play some ver high altissimo notes, but they are more like squeaking. I would like to get to an altissimo G

Is it just me being too bad? Is there any other exercises other than long tones that help with producing overtones or altissimo notes???

I play sax for about 4 years now.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Overtone & Altissimo frustration!

Just try to really relax and enjoy the process, if you maintain a daily routine that includes longtones and overtones, eventually you will be able to play as high as you want. Don't worry about the end results, focus only on the process... good luck.

Don't focus too hard on overtones, I learned how to play chromatic altissimo up to about E4 before I ever practiced overtones, they just solidified control.Try getting an altissimo D using either the palm F fingering or the aux F key.Then try to work down from there. G is very hard to get consistently when just starting. Make sure for the overtones to try and change your mouth shape and tongue position, almost like you are singing the note.

Quote Originally Posted by yliuk View Post
    I've been practicing long tone for a year now, and I still can't get to the 3rd overtone holding the low Bb, B, C on my tenor sax!

I tried to make the "focus" my airflow and make it faster, I also watched youtube vids, searched the web for tips but I just simply can't play the 3rd overtones or any altissimo notes!
    I mean I can play some ver high altissimo notes, but they are more like squeaking. I would like to get to an altissimo G

Is it just me being too bad? Is there any other exercises other than long tones that help with producing overtones or altissimo notes???

I play sax for about 4 years now.
    Hi.

Buy the silencer. It comes with a DVD & Book. Work with it every day, and it WILL fall into place. This is the Key to the Penthouse apt

http://www.jazzlab.com/en/silencer/

A few things that worked with my students: form an "ee" shape in the throat, start the overtone with air not tongue, make sure you "hear" it first even if you have to play the real fingering to hear it, don't force, mf will do, and finally, put space between the 2nd and 3rd overtone-don't slur into it.

And the diaphragm is really important here.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

You can cheat on that third overtone. When you are playing the 2nd overtone of Bb "F". Hit the side Bb key while you are playing. The note should jump up to Bb. Hold the Bb for a few seconds. Stop. Then try to hit it again while still fingering the low Bb. You probably won't be able to do it but over time you can. The trick is memorizing and holding the position of your tongue and throat after you cheat with the side Bb. After you get that Bb then if you hit the palm D key it will jump up to the "D" the 4th overtone. Use the same technique to work on getting that.

To be honest, what most students lack for achieving overtones is patience. The give up and stop trying............I think it took me 3-5 months of daily practice before I had a break through when I was in high school. Good Luck.

I couldnt get the third either, but I had to change some things. For alto, I had to tilt my whole upper posture (including my face) and sax to the side, downward. For tenor, I lifted my body and sax slightly up (I play to the side), and felt like I had to squeeze my embouchure.
    That's one way to start, I'm working on only depending on my oral cavity at the moment.
    My Tenor: Antigua 551LQ, STM 6*/Vandoren T20
    Alto: I use whatever available, S-80 C*
    I put up with a lot of people's BS.

G is one of the most difficult altissimo notes to get. Try easier ones first.