P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Rich Perry is THE MAN

Behind the Tenor, right in front of the Laptop and between the Headphones

Default Rich Perry is THE MAN

No other stuff in my CD or mp3 player since long ago now.I'm really diggin' the man's sound, approach, technique, i mean; it all!.
    I'm in the quest off all his recordings both as leader and sideman.By now I finally succeeded in putting all together his Steeplechase recordings.I also managed to gather a lot of his stuff with Harold Danko, Vanguard Jazz Orchestra and some others.
    One of my favorite recordings from him are Gone and O Grande Amor.
    What's your favorite Rich Perry work?.
    Who cares?.

Default Re: Rich Perry is THE MAN

Beautiful Love. Great trio record.

Forum Contributor 2012 Toot Sweet!'s Avatar

Beautiful player. I think I have most of the Steeplechase CDs. I don't really understand what he does. Refrained from transcribing one of his solos because it seems so difficult to me.
    TootSweet
    "The qualities in music which I considered most important -- and still do -- were beauty, simplicity, originality, discrimination, and sincerity." - Paul Desmond

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Locust Solus View Post
    No other stuff in my CD or mp3 player since long ago now.I'm really diggin' the man's sound, approach, technique, i mean; it all!.
    I'm in the quest off all his recordings both as leader and sideman.By now I finally succeeded in putting all together his Steeplechase recordings.I also managed to gather a lot of his stuff with Harold Danko, Vanguard Jazz Orchestra and some others.
    One of my favorite recordings from him are Gone and O Grande Amor.
    What's your favorite Rich Perry work?.
    I really like Rich, he is an orginal... I like his lesser known recordings with Dave Scott (trumpet player)

http://www.ejazzlines.com/NONCHALANT-p62461.html

Behind the Tenor, right in front of the Laptop and between the Headphones

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Otto View Post
    I really like Rich, he is an orginal... I like his lesser known recordings with Dave Scott (trumpet player)

http://www.ejazzlines.com/NONCHALANT-p62461.html
    Nonchalant and Naivette are two of my favorite recordings with Perry as sideman.Plenty of original improvisation there.
    Who cares?.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

I've discovered Rich recently. He has a very original approach. O Grande Amor is a great CD.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Forum Contributor 2011

I have most of Rich Perry's recordings. One of my favorites is the one with Paul Bley called Speechless. I think the reason I like it so much is that Paul Bley is really free with his improv and comping and I think it is a more spontaneous session. Harold Danko is great and he plays on most of Rich's albums but when I heard this album with Bley I felt like it was more on the edge. I was more surprised and not sure of where it was going which I like.

PS. I just listened to some sample clips from Nonchalant and that sounds like it is in a similar kind of mindset as the Bley recording. Like you don't know what's gonna come next...........I like that.

Distinguished SOTW Member LateNiteSax's Avatar

His Steeplechase CD 3 in 1 is a very special recording. Not a bad track on it. Its one of those recordings i have gravitated to listening to.. ALOT.
    "We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

& Forum Contributor 2008

Now we're talking . I have most of his stuff
    Too . I like an older album of his particularly with Lee Konitz from ' 97. Check it out.
    Dave

As Billie Holiday put it, "Lester sings in his horn; you listen to him and can almost hear the words"

I love these threads... I only know a little of Rich Perry from his tenure with Mel Lewis, and when of the guys on the local jazz station who plays sax gets him on occasionally. Need to get hip to some of his other work, sounds like I've been missing out on some great sax.
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    Tenor: Selmer (Elkhart) 164, Saxscape FatCat Proto
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869

Forum Contributor 2011 Nobby Keys's Avatar

I have a CD where he is a sideman for George Mraz, I think its called 'Bottom Lines'. Tunes from bass players etc.
    Sax stuff and some of my recordings at:
    http://derekghead.com/

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteSax View Post
    His Steeplechase CD 3 in 1 is a very special recording. Not a bad track on it. Its one of those recordings i have gravitated to listening to.. ALOT.
    That's "Three and One". You can find a transcription of the solo in the title track here:

http://pubcs.free.fr/ribaupierre/Thr...Perry_solo.PDF
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

He has heat on a lot of Maria Schneider albums, and always sounds great with the band behind him!

Rich is such a great and unique player. There are so many great records, but one of my favorites is 'Next Age' with Harold Danko as the leader. Fabulous playing.
    <<< evidence >>>

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009

E-motion is one of my favorites. Also I can't remember the name but there's a great Harold Danko album with Rich and Dick Oates...might be called Oates and Perry. Rich is an amazing talent.
    Barry
    Selmer MK VI Tenor (144K) & Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series (The Raven)/Phil-Tone Eclipse (Custom) .110 - Buffet 400 Alto/Phil Tone Aurora .080 - Selmer Bari/Lawton 8*B - Phil Barone Classic Soprano/Barone Vintage 7
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by eldrad View Post
    He has heat on a lot of Maria Schneider albums, and always sounds great with the band behind him!
    I love his playing on Maria's arrangement of the Love Song From Spartacus,.....some of the most beautiful playing you'll ever hear. I can't remember the name of the album though.....i
    Viking M40 CB tenor, Viking M58 alto, Viking M58 GP soprano
    http://davidwellsmusic.com
    http://viking-instruments.com

This is the video that introduced me to Rich's playing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJegYsmlqU
    -B
    Selmer MK VI Tenor (144K) & Cannonball Big Bell Stone Series (The Raven)/Phil-Tone Eclipse (Custom) .110 - Buffet 400 Alto/Phil Tone Aurora .080 - Selmer Bari/Lawton 8*B - Phil Barone Classic Soprano/Barone Vintage 7
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by dctwells View Post
    I love his playing on Maria's arrangement of the Love Song From Spartacus,.....some of the most beautiful playing you'll ever hear. I can't remember the name of the album though.....i
    Coming About, 1995

A rare Rich Perry recording is his duo album 'Crossroads' with Peter Sommer, also a fine tenor player. It is under Sommer's name.
    Last edited by KJ; 08-13-2012 at 10:24 PM. Reason: spelling