P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: He's back and he is taking jazz to a whole new level !

Distinguished SOTW Member CooolJazzz's Avatar

Default Re: He's back and he is taking jazz to a whole new level !

Quote Originally Posted by RootyTootoot View Post
    This set me thinking. Wouldn't it in fact be possible for Ski to set up multiple Facebook accounts who then become his "fans".
    It's against facebook rules to have more than one personal profile, but it's done all the time. It's just as easy to set up multiple facebook profiles as it is to set up multiple youtube profiles. You just have to have a separate and valid email address for each one, and then make up a bunch of fictitious personal details. I don't think facebook polices the IP address very hard because there are too many family members with different profiles but legitimately signing on from the same IP address. If they policed IP addresses, only one person per household would be able to have a facebook profile, and that's not going to happen.

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz Is All's Avatar

I wouldn't doubt that. He also probably has his "people", including those blonds from the video, doing the "friending" and "liking" of him online too. Then there is the question of money. It takes cash to finance all this theatrical reality he's created, so where is it coming from. Clearly he's not getting paid to gate crash, and AFAIK those Good Morning type TV appearances are unpaid except in PR value. I could be wrong of course. He's got a bunch of albums on Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ds=ski+johnson and sadly for music there are undoubtly people who are buying them. Does anyone know if this guy actually gets paying gigs and tours, or any venues he's played at in the real world and not online?
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

Quote Originally Posted by CooolJazzz View Post
    If they policed IP addresses, only one person per household would be able to have a facebook profile, and that's not going to happen.
    Right. And I'm guessing that a load of linked PCs (eg in a school/university/workplace) would all show as having the same IP address?

Re SOTW I once set up a fake account here as a joke - a Russian model with a thing for saxophones and snakes (a stupid thing to do no doubt but i suppose i thought i was being funny at the time, she had about 20 friends requests within 24 hours). One of the Admins was on that pretty quick I must say. So I'll completely vouch for what milandro is saying that the staff here do make an real effort to police this as far as SOTW is concerned.
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Quote Originally Posted by RootyTootoot View Post
    Right. And I'm guessing that a load of linked PCs (eg in a school/university/workplace) would all show as having the same IP address?
    Typically yes they would as they will be using NAT (Network Address Translation) built into their router but a large campus/company may have different gateways to the Internet and therefore multiple IP addresses.

Much mischief could be made at the Skisters expense. A Facebook fan page could be set-up with invites to all of his contacts. His Youtube video could be edited to concentrate on wrong notes in the National Anthem. Likewise his personal appearance videos. He has put himself in the public eye and now is a "Public Figure"....making him fair game for satire.

Just a couple of thoughts. Someone could have alot of fun with this.
    "Inspiration is for amateurs, Just show up and get the work done!" ---- Chuck Close

Distinguished SOTW Member saxpiece's Avatar

a Russian model with a thing for saxophones and snakes (a stupid thing to do no doubt but i suppose i thought i was being funny at the time, she had about 20 friends requests within 24 hours).
    Funny that.

I've only had 2 friend requests in 3 years but I'm not a Russian model with a thing for snakes.

Ski Johnson.......
    It's all Downhill from Here!

Skijohnson(1).jpg
    "Inspiration is for amateurs, Just show up and get the work done!" ---- Chuck Close

Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by sonnymobleytrane View Post
    Could you live with being full of s**t as long as others "thought" you were good?
    But we are good, so this doesn't apply.
    Ska Ska Ska Ska Ska

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

an a positive note , he has a nice Buffet S1!

I searched for him on iTunes and he has various cuts from 3 of his albums. I must be a serious glutton for punishment because I actually listened to 2 of them, I Need You and Miles And Me.

The first one is so absolutely horrendous it's actually funny and I couldn't stop laughing at the end. It features (if you can use that word in this context) some awful vocalist who is either a woman with a deep voice or a man singing bad falsetto, and Skijump Johnson interjecting some really lame out of tune, unmelodic 3, 5 and 6 note "riffs". It's so bad that you have to hear it to believe it, and frankly I can't imagine this "group" playing live anywhere and living through the gig. The audience would kill them and get off on a plea of self-defense.

As to Miles And Me, the title alone is so pretentious (as if he and Miles were buds) and co-optive (trading on the name of dead Giant), that Ski is lucky that Miles is dead or he'd be in the hospital by now.
    Music is a magic elixir. It renews the spirit and fills the soul with joy -- Jazz Is All
    "It's all about the spirit. The body will be gone in a blink, but the spirit never dies. That is jazz." -- Sonny Rollins
    ParkerColtraneMcLeanRollinsGordonGriffinHendersonErvinDolphyKirkLacyHandySheppMarianoSandersG.AdamsBergSpauldingShorter

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    an a positive note , he has a nice Buffet S1!
    Hahahaha! Yes, what's his setup so we can all avoid it? (i'm joking, Buffet owners)
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Forum Contributor 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Is All View Post

As to Miles And Me, the title alone is so pretentious (as if he and Miles were buds) and co-optive (trading on the name of dead Giant), that Ski is lucky that Miles is dead or he'd be in the hospital by now.
    There's another one with some stuff about him and John Coltrane, along the lines of:

Me and Coltrane
    Feelin the pain
    It's insane
    Hurtin my brain
    Like cocaine
    etc etc

Hey, Ski, I can do your lyrics for you, mate!

And here's how it should be done:

Sorry, unable to display

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

at least that’s a decent piece of soul music..........

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

Might as well give him a few reviews... since the system uses my real name, it would be totally okay with me if a few of you who have iTunes accounts would jump on with me so I'm not the ONLY person his "people" can be mad at.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

I can see doing that. I already wrote some truth on one of his Youtube videos, but how do you do it on iTunes? It's also possible to write reviews on Amazon. I wrote a few years ago for some of my fav jazz albums and a couple of novels, and it wouldn't be hard to do it for his "music".

Me, I'm gonna go flush out my ears with some Bird.

Brillant !

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

If you're logged in to iTunes and your account, just post a review on the album.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Distinguished SOTW Member CooolJazzz's Avatar

Then there is the question of money. It takes cash to finance all this theatrical reality he's created, so where is it coming from. Clearly he's not getting paid to gate crash, and AFAIK those Good Morning type TV appearances are unpaid except in PR value.
    In my opinion, this is where the real crime is. Honestly, who really cares if someone lives in their own fantasy world and claims to be something they're not. No skin off of my nose or yours, right? What truly makes me sick about Ski Johnson is that he appears to be using his Jazz For Life Foundation as the main source of his personal income. As I've noted before, there's absolutely no evidence that I can find anywhere to indicate that the Jazz For Life Foundation is a legitimate charity of any kind. It's not listed with any of the watch-dog groups that usually keep track of charities and non-profit organizations. It's not listed with the BBB. It's not mentioned anywhere on the internet except on his own website and in press releases that originate from his own activities. His website doesn't offer any way to find out any more details about how the Foundation operates, what percentage of proceeds ever go to cancer research, or if it's even properly set up as a legal and legitimate charity or non-profit organization. Most of his income seems to stem from performances that he advertises as "fund raising events". Sure they're fund raising events. Events to raise funds for his own profit. The more he advertises his philosophy of "giving back", the more money he's able to channel into his own bank account through what seems to be a totally bogus "Foundation".

I really couldn't care less about the fraud he's perpetrating by pretending to be a great musician when in fact he sucks. There's a much bigger fraud that he seems to be getting away with...bilking the public for money in the name of a charitable foundation that doesn't appear to have any legitimacy whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by jgreiner View Post
    Widetrack

3. Yup, Wausau....where it's been in the mid to high 70's the last 2 or so weeks.
    4. Your point?
    Point was, I remember Wisconsin in March. Point is, I didn't notice that apparently the entire nation except the area where I now live --Pacific NW--is in a heat spell, while we're seeing a series of Spring snowstorms.

Ski is lucky that Miles is dead or he'd be in the hospital by now.
    How about Miles' family or label?

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast