P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small MPC tip opening for Jazz

Default Re: Small MPC tip opening for Jazz

Errah - so I'm confused - the YAS-61 is an older Yamaha alto but she is playing a curved soprano in the video clips. BTW her sound is fine and, as far as I can tell, so is her intonation though the flutes and clarinets playing behind her need serious work. Are you looking for an alto or soprano mouthpiece? You may want to post a clip of her playing alto if that's what you are looking for.

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Hey dad, you should be proud. Amanda sounds great on that video. She deserved the applause and no doubt she'll get over the shyness, especially if she wants to play music...

But yeah, she's on a soprano there. Are we talking about altos or sopranos? Anyway, Pete Thomas pretty well said it, but I'd like to also point out that I doubt a somewhat larger tip opening is going to give her problems, assuming you don't go TOO large. But there are lots of factors at work in a mpc, so she really needs to try them out. A #3 reed might be too hard with a larger tip opening, though.

I forgot the clips where soprano....but the reason was to show her shyness......hence not liable to post here soon.
    Googled a Meyer 5SS......nothing out there I could read!

The Meyer (USA) she has is a 6M small chamber.
    Maybe a #3 reed on the C* for classical & the Meyer with a 2.5 reed for Jazz?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    You may want to post a clip of her playing alto if that's what you are looking for.
    KeithL, I should have thought of that! It'll have to wait until the weekend, but I'll record her playing the Jazz piece on the YAS-61 with the C*, & if I can, also on the Meyer.
    She also has a Penzel-Mueller (can't find the size) and the Rousseau JDX5.

Alto Meyer pieces are designated by 1) tip opening (5, 6, 7, etc.); 2) length of lay (S=short, M=medium, etc.); 3) chamber size (stamped on the mouthpiece fully spelled out, e.g., "Small Chamber", "Medium Chamber", etc.).

So a "5SS" isn't how they would be listed - that "5SS" is merely a writer shortening the designations here on SOTW. And in this case, the writer got the order wrong. If you look for a Meyer alto designated "5 S - Small Chamber", you may be able to find something. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2013

A well adjusted Meyer blows easier that a vanilla C*. She could play a 5 or a 6. If you were having it made and had trouble deciding you could make a .073 which splits the difference. Personally I would stick with the medium chamber. Im presuming we are talking about Alto. If not ignore this post.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    A well adjusted Meyer blows easier that a vanilla C*. She could play a 5 or a 6. If you were having it made and had trouble deciding you could make a .073 which splits the difference. Personally I would stick with the medium chamber. Im presuming we are talking about Alto. If not ignore this post.
    Listen to this wisdom. (and tell Amanda that it's time to grow up).
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12