P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: I Need Suggestions for a New Gospel Tune: PLEASE HELP

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Blue Wink I Need Suggestions for a New Gospel Tune: PLEASE HELP

I want to arrange a new piece to perform. But I'm having a creative block as far as finding the right song goes. Here's what I what:

* Something that can be sung as a duet that will accept a sax and/or flute intro, break in the middle and ending. I will create those and arrange the song around them.

* Something contemporary that is piano-centric with.

* Something that is both dark and inspiring.

* Lyrics need to have a direct Gospel message. A song like "Wind Beneath My Wings" that only infers a spiritual undertone will not work in my setting.

* The song needs to have some online resources that I can draw from such as a midi, sheet music or at least a performance track without vocals on mp3 that I can modify in Audacity. I don't have time to transcribe and build a whole score from scratch.

I know that's a tall order. But this is usually the type of songs I use. I just can't find the right one this time. I've already worn out the main Casting Crowns songs and I need to move on to something new.
    Good Luck,

Enviroguy

Default Re: I Need Suggestions for a New Gospel Tune: PLEASE HELP

Our praise team has done this song - it's perfect for keys and female lead vocal with wonderful sax anywhere you want to put it. It always has a powerful effect with the folks in the pews. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXl7BNyYP2w

I did arrangements of Vince Gill's "Go Rest High On That Mountain" and Alison Krauss' "Down To The River To Pray" "for our sax quartet that you could probably substitue a voice part for the melody line.
    P.Mauriat PMXT 66R DK Tenor, Yamaha YAS 52 Alto, E.M. Winston 375 GL Curved Soprano, Buescher 400 Bari. "Music is your own experience, your own thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn." Charlie Parker

http://search.musicnotes.com/?cat=Sh...x3=instrument0

I don't know if this would help you or not, but this website has many types of sheet music etc., some of which you can print
    on your printer.

More horns than I'm worthy of . . . Mick Stuppguy's Avatar

Have you ever listened to Richard Smallwood's "Center of My Joy"? It was written in concert Eb, so may not be hard to adapt. Beautiful message and melody.
    - Mick -
    Mind frequently on vacation, mouth usually working overtime.

Not a contemporary piece, but I think 'Low in the Grave he Lay' would make a great arrangement, especially considering the contrasting dark verse and inspiring chorus.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Try "To him who stis on the throne", "The Lord's Prayer", "Give Thanks", "Oh the Glory of your Presence" is my favorite of all time....these are powerful Contemporary songs.
    Tenor: The Martin Tenor Saxophone, Drake Son of Slant 8L, Vandoren ZZ Reeds
    http://www.youtube.com/user/aTuneForJesus