Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Forum Contributor 2012 Skoothondjie's Avatar

Default Buescher neck replacements: what works?

What have you experienced as good replacements for Buescher (alto) necks? And please tell why they are good.

Default Re: Buescher neck replacements: what works?

Especially for True Tones

So, no other sax necks work on a Buescher? Thought that this would generate at least some discussion.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011

You should be able to use any Buescher neck except maybe the 400. Also, the Elkhart (built by Buescher) and vintage Selmer Bundy/Signet horns (you'll notice the keywork is still Buescher) should work as well.
    The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way. - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Skoothondjie View Post
    So, no other sax necks work on a Buescher? Thought that this would generate at least some discussion.
    Sorry pal, but I never tried another neck on my trusty TH'nC

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Are you missing the neck, is that the deal ? Or do you have it and just want another, different one ?

As noted in the other thread you had going on the same subject...you need to get some dimensions of a proper period TT neck and then start doing some comparisons....

So...it might be a nice idea to start a thread asking folks to chime in w/ their TT neck dimensions....

Another Buescher-related horn is a good idea...BUT... from a TT to a Bundy I....and all points in-between...that's a big span, so I am gonna guess that there were some neck design changes in those 50 years.

You could conceivably pick up a 20A stencil of some sort for around $100 and score the neck...but again....it's possible the neck wouldn't work, so it's a bit of a roll-the-dice scenario.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Thanks for the tips.

Yes, I have a TT neck (unmarked) that is too frustrating to play. Was looking for another neck.
    Seeing that the dimensions of my neck tenon is the same as most modern horns I went ahead and bought a Phil Barone neck. If this doesn't clash with the Buescher keywork it should play very well.

Distinguished SOTW Member BlueTrane2028's Avatar

I have my doubts that was the right move, but I wish you luck on it.

It might be far less maddening to simply get a different horn, perhaps a later TT or an Aristocrat if you want to keep with the Buescher brand... especially considering that whatever sax the neck was made for that you'd use to fix yours probably doesn't have the flaw to begin with, and might just have a more updated keywork layout. I have also heard of mods people have done to make the upper end of an early TT play less sharp. I assume that's the problem you're battling. I've experienced it first hand while vintage alto shopping, and it's frustrating to say the least.
    Soprano – Olds "Pro SS" | Alto – 1940 King Zephyr | Tenor – 1970 Selmer Mark VI | Bari – YBS-62 | Clarinet – Buffet E-13 | Bachelor of Music – West Chester University

Quote Originally Posted by BlueTrane2028 View Post
    I have my doubts that was the right move, but I wish you luck on it.

It might be far less maddening to simply get a different horn, perhaps a later TT or an Aristocrat if you want to keep with the Buescher brand... especially considering that whatever sax the neck was made for that you'd use to fix yours probably doesn't have the flaw to begin with, and might just have a more updated keywork layout. I have also heard of mods people have done to make the upper end of an early TT play less sharp. I assume that's the problem you're battling. I've experienced it first hand while vintage alto shopping, and it's frustrating to say the least.
    Thanks for the luck-wishing. I'll find out soon enough if it was a terrible idea or not.

The issues you explained above is not the reason why I needed another neck. Also thank you for trying to help, but I would not like to discuss my neck issues here (I'll do this in another post) as this was not the intention of this thread.

The question I'm trying to get answered here is:

Buescher players, have you experimented with and found that other necks work well on your horns?

Hope this makes more sense.

Forum Contributor 2010 almost halfway's Avatar

I play mostly alto, and it happens to be a 210xxx true tone with an 01 neck from a 290xxx aristocrat. Fabulous combo, a bit less resistant and more flexible/open feel than the original tt neck.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

I also play a New Aristocrat 01 neck on my True Tone alto (228,XXX). The original 1 neck plays sharp above A2 and has other intonational quirks down low (notably a flat G1 and A1). The 01 neck cleans up all issues quite nicely. Though this has never been confirmed by body/bore measurements, I suspect my late model True Tone with an 01 neck is basically a New Aristocrat in disguise.

If your problem is sharpness up top, many folks here have done modifications to their True Tone alto necks. Search the site including the key word "insert*".

I'd give Gloger a try.

The two I use on my soprano are incredible!

Distinguished SOTW Member BlueTrane2028's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skoothondjie View Post
    Thanks for the luck-wishing. I'll find out soon enough if it was a terrible idea or not.

The issues you explained above is not the reason why I needed another neck. Also thank you for trying to help, but I would not like to discuss my neck issues here (I'll do this in another post) as this was not the intention of this thread.

The question I'm trying to get answered here is:

Buescher players, have you experimented with and found that other necks work well on your horns?

Hope this makes more sense.
    Be assured, I meant no disrespect. It's just that modern horns have a different bore than the old Bueschers, and it's likely the volume dimensions of the neck will be different between a modern neck and the Buescher one. I saw an excellent presentation once on how to start looking for an alternate neck for your sax. It involved buzzing into the end of the original neck like a trumpet, and then doing the same on candidate replacement necks until you find one that's similar pitch. That would indicate the internal volume of the tube is at least close, which should mean it would be less likely to have intonation problems on your particular instrument. The tenon diameter doesnt' really mean all that much as tubing can be stretched and contracted.

And, the suggestions of the "01" neck are probably right on, it just feels like a sin to make a nice aristocrat effectively a parts horn by removing its neck.

Gloger can make anything to about any specification, so if you want to go that route, I'd ask for them to fab up as close to an "01" as possible.

On the positive side, if the Barone neck doesnt work, there's a ton of modern horns out there that it will work on, I doubt you'll be stuck with it.
    Soprano – Olds "Pro SS" | Alto – 1940 King Zephyr | Tenor – 1970 Selmer Mark VI | Bari – YBS-62 | Clarinet – Buffet E-13 | Bachelor of Music – West Chester University

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

And, the suggestions of the "01" neck are probably right on, it just feels like a sin to make a nice aristocrat effectively a parts horn by removing its neck.
    I lucked out and found mine on E-bay years ago. It wasn't described as a Buescher neck, had been spray painted and had some dings. The moment I put it on however, I knew it would work better than the original alto neck my True Tone came with. So I had it stripped, had the dings removed and had it silver plated to match my horn and never looked back. Though I don't comb the market every day, I haven't seen one offered for sale since. They are rare birds. However, a Bundy neck might be easier obtained and could potentially work as well.

Be assured, I meant no disrespect. It's just that modern horns have a different bore than the old Bueschers, and it's likely the volume dimensions of the neck will be different between a modern neck and the Buescher one. I saw an excellent presentation once on how to start looking for an alternate neck for your sax. It involved buzzing into the end of the original neck like a trumpet, and then doing the same on candidate replacement necks until you find one that's similar pitch. That would indicate the internal volume of the tube is at least close, which should mean it would be less likely to have intonation problems on your particular instrument. The tenon diameter doesnt' really mean all that much as tubing can be stretched and contracted.

Gloger can make anything to about any specification, so if you want to go that route, I'd ask for them to fab up as close to an "01" as possible.

On the positive side, if the Barone neck doesnt work, there's a ton of modern horns out there that it will work on, I doubt you'll be stuck with it.
    Don't worry. No offense was given. Nor was it taken. Thanks for trying to help.

A few interesting things you've said here. I quickly asked for a refund on the Barone neck. Was starting to have my doubts - not about the quality of the workmanship but if it would be a nice fit on a Buescher . Luckily I wasn't too late. It wasn't shipped yet. Now I'm looking for a 01 neck or a 01 replica.

I also heard that some use Keilwerth necks. Anyone tried those?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Another possibility is a later Aristocrat neck from the 60's. That would be essentially a "3" neck from the transitional era.
    “If they give you lined paper, write the other way.”
    William Carlos Williams

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 jicaino's Avatar

Anything works on a Buescher alto. I've used Balanced Action necks, Yamaha Custom necks, I've made a couple of necks from scratch, but it's really a major undertaking for a horn that essentially performs well on most necks. At the most, you'll need to adjust the octave pip diameter (and the neck key of course)

What's the issue with the original neck?
    Juan Ignacio Caino
    "The more you sweat during practice, the less you bleed during combat"
    I prefer e-mail messages to PM
    my email adress is jicaino@gmail.com
    www.facebook.com/jicaino

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Juan, the new avatar is scaring me.....
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1980-something Yamaha YBS-61 Baritone -- Strathon 8*

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

Quote Originally Posted by jicaino View Post
    Anything works on a Buescher alto. I've used Balanced Action necks, Yamaha Custom necks, I've made a couple of necks from scratch, but it's really a major undertaking for a horn that essentially performs well on most necks. At the most, you'll need to adjust the octave pip diameter (and the neck key of course)

What's the issue with the original neck?
    Thanks for that tip.
    My neck? It's an unmarked neck. The problem is excessive windyness. It makes a hissing sound. It sounds more like a snake than a sax. The problem disappears when I put other necks - well, at least all the other necks I've tried - in it, though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast