P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: a mouthpiece for my Selmer sa 80 III Tenor

Default a mouthpiece for my Selmer sa 80 III Tenor

after playing a Selmer sa 80 II Tenor for 2 years i switched to a sa 80 III. The reason was that i had problems to get the low notes on the 80 II. Sometimes i got them sometimes it was really difficult. On my 80 III this is not an issue, but ***** the 80 III is so loud and harsh at least with my mouthieces (Ponzol ML, M2, 2-5-1)

Could you recommend a mouthpiece which has a more warm and full sound on the 80 III Tenor?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: a mouthpiece for my Selmer sa 80 III Tenor

consider the classical mouthpieces like Selmer Larry Teal, or Selmer (vintage) soloist.
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

sometimes, a check with your saxophone technician may be a good idea.
    Music - His gift, my duty, our fellowship 3Jn2
    Yanagisawa A992 Alto, Yamaha YAS-62 Alto & YTS-62 Tenor, Selmer Paris Series II Soprano Sax

YOU have to give it the warmth with YOUR playing.
    Find a good Link STM, or any of it's numerous Ersatz from Wanne, Barone, Fry, you name them. By the way, isn't the 2-5-1 supposed to be another Link Ersatz ?
    Or check one of the German refacers for good advice. They might have mouthpieces on hand. Jo Schnabl did a great job on my current STM 8.
    Sop Yana SC900 - Vandoren S25 - Fiberreed Carbon Classic MH ¦ Alto SA-II - Meyer 7M - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Tenor MkVII - Link STM 8* - Fiberreed Carbon M ¦ Bari SA-II - JJ ESP 7* - Fiberreed Carbon M
    Hear them on The Groove Merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesax View Post
    after playing a Selmer sa 80 II Tenor for 2 years i switched to a sa 80 III. The reason was that i had problems to get the low notes on the 80 II. Sometimes i got them sometimes it was really difficult. On my 80 III this is not an issue, but ***** the 80 III is so loud and harsh at least with my mouthieces (Ponzol ML, M2, 2-5-1)

Could you recommend a mouthpiece which has a more warm and full sound on the 80 III Tenor?
    If your SII was leaky and you are familiar with overblowing to get your horn to play, your III may come off excessively loud and harsh. Back off a lil' bit - the III is a very responsive tenor (I played one for several years). That said, I did find myself chasing ever darker mouthpieces on the III - Lawton 8*B to Barone Hollywood to Barone Jazz. Your Ponzol may work fine with a different choice of reed.
    Go for The Tone,

g

As a veteran for peace, I am already against the next war.

with a NY Woodwind mouthpiece (it is really a Chedevile design and blank) the sound is great. And now as Dr G mentioned i have to find a good reed. Conzalez sounds very good.

I just started using a ref 54 neck on my III and its really helped to soften the sharp edges of the tone. Less modern and more VI-like. I also went through darker mouthpieces (less baffle anyhow) before settling on a Lebayle LRII. All the Lebayles I tried were a pretty good match for the horn.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar

The hair stood up on the back of my neck when I read this, "The reason was that i had problems to get the low notes on the 80 II. Sometimes i got them sometimes it was really difficult." Normally, that shouldn't have been a problem, and I wondered if you had bought a new sax when your Serie II should have gone to a good repair technician, instead.

Well, too late now, anyway, if that was the case. I also had a Serie III. The sound should not be loud. That's up to you. Maybe your Serie II was not adjusted properly, so you got used to over-compensating for that and were blowing more than you had to, normally. And now that you have a horn that is properly adjusted you are blowing too much because that is what you are used to doing? You should be able to whisper into the Serie III. It's a very responsive horn. It shouldn't be either too loud or too soft.

p.s. Oh, this is funny. I just posted this and read Dr G's comments above. Mine are almost a copy. Oh well, like minds . . .

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Contributor 2010 AG's Avatar

well......I like links on tenors, and since you have bought a new one (tenor) my humble suggestion is to try the new slant sig in hard rubber & a good STM in metal. YMMV

just my 2 cents