Antigua Winds

Thread: Robert Martin?

Default Robert Martin?

I was at a music store just looking around and I found an alto labeled "Robert Martin". I've never heard of one of those before. Is it a type of Martin or a whole different brand? It cost $1425. Is that a fair price? (This is considering I come back with my mouthpiece, try it out, and like it.)

Thanks,
    Tony
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Default Re: Robert Martin?

Did you happen to snap a pic of it?

I believe these were mostly (or entirely) French stencils. I'm aware that there are at least a few Robert Martin Dolnet stencils out there.

It would be worth snapping a pic when you go back.

If it is in fact a French stencil, it may be a great player, but the price is a little optimistic on the part of the store.

I'm sorry I didn't (I was in a hurry), but I'll hopefully go back soon to try it and I'll try to take as many pics as possible.

I think there also is a discount not added yet so $1425 might not be the final price.

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Is this tenor similar in style to the alto, especially the key guards, which are unique to Dolnet. In my opinion, although it may be a good horn, the price is way out of line. No relation to The U.S. made Martin saxophones.

http://tamingthesaxophone.com/sax-dolnet-m70-tenor.html

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

All of the US Martins had either opposing bell keys (up through the early 30s Troubador) and left side (HC Imperial) after that. If it has the modern style right side bell keys, then it is not an Elkhart made Martin.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Oui!.....Martin, Robert Martin! Macon, France! No relation to the Martin of America!

read this (confusing but that’s the way it is) They made clarinets and had many brands ( Dolnet, Pieret, Couesnon ) stencil for them, possibly not worth the asking price.:tsk:

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbrass View Post

Originally Posted by saxpics
    You're copying and pasting SML info. Allow me to copy and paste more:Jazzbrass, while I very much so appreciate your e-mail, if Robert Martin stenciled mainly from Couesnon, I haven't seen it. The only Robert Martin sax I've seen was a Pierret stencil. IIRC, Robert Martin was a clarinet manufacturer and everything else was a stencil. Couesnon did stencil saxophones for folks, most notably Selmer, but I haven't seen any mention of them doing that after 1931 or so.

I had, a few years ago, a flugelhorn signed Martin with Mâcon, which was appraised by Jean Michel Renard like a Stencil of Couesnon.

See on this subject my page:
    http://web.mac.com/mjean2/iWeb/Brass...098233721.html

I currently write a history of Couesnon, I were unaware of that Couesnon had worked out Stencils for Selmer. I am thus very interested by information which you have on this subject

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spike421 View Post
    Is this tenor similar in style to the alto, especially the key guards, which are unique to Dolnet. In my opinion, although it may be a good horn, the price is way out of line. No relation to The U.S. made Martin saxophones.

That's my Robert Martin there...

Quote Originally Posted by milandro View Post
    Oui!.....Martin, Robert Martin! Macon, France! No relation to the Martin of America!

read this (confusing but that’s the way it is) They made clarinets and had many brands ( Dolnet, Pieret, Couesnon ) stencil for them, possibly not worth the asking price.:tsk:
    I agree, as a stencil it's only worth up to as much as the equivalent "name brand" and possibly less. Sometimes with th stencil's there isn't an equivalent, ie the stencil is not of the same spec or quailty as any of the name brand models. I believe in the case of my tenor it's identical to the Dolnet M70 (it actually has M70 engraved) so I'm asking a price I consider to be correct for the Dolnet, although being a horn I don't really want to say goodbye to it's not what i call a "bargain" price.

In that respect, if this Robert martin is identical to a model of Dolnet, Pierret or Couesnon, then $1425 minus a discount and a bit of haggling could snag you a great horn at a good price. But bear in mind though these European models (including many stencils such as this) are really every bit as good as the best vintage US or Selmers, they don't command such high prices.

If you love the horn, buy it, but don't expect a quick or highly profitable resale.

The Bb and B key are covered by one key guard and the C# by another. Not very unusual.

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony5175 View Post
    The Bb and B key are covered by one key guard and the C# by another. Not very unusual.
    Post some pictures, if possible.

http://www.usahorn.com/used/Dolnet/1...uer-435XX.html

Here's a Dolnet Alto. The b/Bb/C# key guards are angular instead of rounded, which is a unique feature, as far as I know, which would identify your horn as a Dolnet stencil. A good horn if in good playable condition, for 700.00 -$1000.00 max.

Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Post some pictures, if possible.
    Yes, it will be obvious if it's a Dolnet with the distinctive octagonal rather than rounded style keyguard.