P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Tricked out SML on Ebay

Forum Contributor 2013

Default Tricked out SML on Ebay

Check this out; http://www.ebay.com/itm/140710959564...ht_5427wt_1398

Anybody know if these are Codera Resoblades? I emailed Quinntheeskimo and he did not think they were Codera's but did not know what they were. It has flat metal resos. Horn looks like a real trip!

Default Re: Tricked out SML on Ebay

wow!! nice to see an SML getting some bread!!!

what's this quinntheeskimo.2 seller name?? does he use this for the exclusive stuff???
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

It looks like the ultimate polished turd. You could get a real sax for that kind of money. Strange that high end flutes have no adjusters

Distinguished SOTW Member rhysonsax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by whaler View Post
    It looks like the ultimate polished turd. You could get a real sax for that kind of money. Strange that high end flutes have no adjusters
    Oh no, I just bought that turd ! I'll tell you how it goes.

Rhys

Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rhysonsax View Post
    Oh no, I just bought that turd ! I'll tell you how it goes.

Rhys
    I was intrigued for sure. Keep us posted...

Ive found NO OTHER sax.... at any price....that plays as well as my SML
    SML Revision D Tenor Otto Link Slant Sig 7* Brillhart HR Sakshama Lost Wax Guardala MBII in sterling silver Theo Wanne Wood Ambika 7* Strathon 7* Stan Getz Legend 7*
    R&C curvy soprano Wanne Gaia 8 soprano mouthpiece

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

IMO the sax will probably be a superb instrument. I love the sound of my SML and if the keywork is a good as Quinn says well....what could be better.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Distinguished SOTW Member LateNiteSax's Avatar

They are amazing horns, the lush sound is amazing, but the SML tenors literally have NO altissimo. I know that sounds bizarre, but it just does not work on them, resistant, out of tune, ect. Getting altisimo notes out of them is like getting teeth pulled
    "We sax players need to stick together and save the world." Sonny Rollins, 1993 after a show.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Oh no, I just bought that turd! I'll tell you how it goes.
    I think you did good. That could be the ultimate SML alto. I've owned a few altos and they sound fantastic and have excellent intonation. Now, with the upgraded keywork yours should be a very interesting horn.
    Life is too short for long tones

Distinguished SOTW Member Turnaround's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by soybean View Post
    I think you did good. That could be the ultimate SML alto. I've owned a few altos and they sound fantastic and have excellent intonation. Now, with the upgraded keywork yours should be a very interesting horn.
    Specially being a tenor. That would be one EXTREMELY tricked out SML...

Quote Originally Posted by runzoff View Post
    Check this out; http://www.ebay.com/itm/140710959564...ht_5427wt_1398

Anybody know if these are Codera Resoblades? I emailed Quinntheeskimo and he did not think they were Codera's but did not know what they were. It has flat metal resos. Horn looks like a real trip!
    Looking at the website of the maker, the cups are mounted in the centre, like Resoblades.

Here is an extract from the English version of the website, explaining the mechanism.

The new mechanics for saxophone Varioklappen- Mechanik was developed to make the adjustment of pads as precise and simple as possible. In the Varioklappen- Mechanik keys are attached to the mechanics with a ball joint. If a key is closed, it will automatically adapt to the ideal position to close the tone hole. Then the key can be fixed in this position by fastening a screw in the ball joint.

Advantages:
    ° The pressure point for closing is exactly in the middle of the key and therefore extremely precise
    ° Pads can be changed without demounting the mechanics. Keys can be clipped on and off easily
    ° The adjustment of the pads can be done faster, easier and more precise. Special tools are not necessary
    ° All types of pads can be used
    ° Because of the very easy and fast adjustment of the keys, unusual materials as silicone and rubber can be used for the pads
    ° The Varioklappen- Mechanik can be played with fixed as well as with movable attachment of the keys to the mechanics

More interesting stuff here: http://www.meinsax.de/umbau%20english.htm

Rhys

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Turnaround View Post
    Specially being a tenor. That would be one EXTREMELY tricked out SML...
    Oops. Haha, of course you're right!

Forum Contributor 2014

Because of the very easy and fast adjustment of the keys, unusual materials as silicone and rubber can be used for the pads…
    Thanks for that. So, it appears the pads can be regular or rubber (Codera type).

Forum Contributor 2012 dubrosa22's Avatar

Super SML!!!

Alto: SML 'Revision D' // Selmer 'Short Shank' Soloist C*
    Tenor: Selmer TS600L // Otto Link STM 6*; Berg 95/1/M

So, Rhys tell us - what does the ultimate tricked out SML sound and feel like??? I have also found no substitute for the SML sound my GM I's make....I can only imagine with all the keywork improvements. Have you even received the horn yet??

Quote Originally Posted by chubarry View Post
    So, Rhys tell us - what does the ultimate tricked out SML sound and feel like??? I have also found no substitute for the SML sound my GM I's make....I can only imagine with all the keywork improvements. Have you even received the horn yet??
    The USPS tracking tells me it has reached SF, so it's still got to get across the Atlantic and be delivered in the UK. But my experience is that can take a couple of weeks at least as it arrives at a customs depot here, the customs people send me a letter requiring lots of information and something like 21% duty payment which has to clear before they will post it on to me.

I guess I won't have it in my hand until the end of March at the earliest. Frustrating, but fun to look forward.

Rhys

This SML has arrived with me today. Two bits of good news - the excellent packing protected the sax fine and it is in perfect condition, and also the duty that I had to pay was less than I was expecting.

The Walt Johnson shaped case is very nice - the first one of these that I have ever seen. I think I still prefer Hiscox for the extra storage space, but this seems to be very protective.

The mechanism is interesting and looks cool to me. There is a ring around the body below the strap ring where the body tube has been cut and the lower part rotated to give a 'balanced action' style. The ergonomics are as good as most modern horns; only the F# auxiliary key (RH2) isn't very well placed as it's too far back for me. The left and right hand pinky keys are fine. And I really like the silver plate finish.

The horn blows beautifully from bottom to top. I've never played an SML before, but the sound is lovely: slightly similar to my MkVI but with distinct differences. Easy at the bottom, clear at the top and a big sound throughout. Intonation seems to be good as well.

Rhys

Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contributor Jazzaferri's Avatar

I thought you had a real winner when you first described it. Great that it turned out to be such a super horn
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed

Forum Contributor 2012 dubrosa22's Avatar

Surely a one of kind you got there rhysonsax - enjoy it!

Alto: SML 'Revision D' // Selmer 'Short Shank' Soloist C*
    Tenor: Selmer TS600L // Otto Link STM 6*; Berg 95/1/M

Forum Contributor 2014

…the body tube has been cut and the lower part rotated to give a 'balanced action' style.
    Astonishing! I guess that's a good solution to making it balanced action but I never would have thought of it.