P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ernie Sola

Distinguished SOTW Technician

Default Ernie Sola

As some of you may know, Ernie has been battling lung cancer for the last couple of years. The last time I saw him he looked healthy as hell so I thought he might be beating it.
    But a couple of days ago I heard from a friend that the cancer has spread to his brain. I'm hoping my friend was wrong, but these days, who knows?
    I tried reaching Ernie by phone a couple of weeks ago, but he hasn't responded to my message.
    If any of you have any pull with the Big Jazz Player in the Sky, you might ask him to throw Ernie a bit of help.
    He's a great guy, and it sounds like he could use it.
    We're pulling for you, Ernie.
    Les

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Ernie Sola

yes we are

Thanks Les, I spoke to him 2 weeks ago and thought he sounded great but last week I heard otherwise.

Forum Contributor 2011

Ahhhhh! Bummer news. Ernie has been my repair guy for the last 15 years. I love his work but I also think the world of him as a person. I love just hangin out with him for hours while he would fix my sax. We talk about every sax related subject imaginable. He has been so optimistic and courageous through this whole thing. I have been praying for him and it pains me to hear this.

Forum Contributor 2014

I talked to Ernie last week and he sounded great. He said he was doing well.
    I hope the news you heard isnt true. He's one of the best guys on the planet.

Forum Contributor 2014

My thoughts are with him. Such an incredible person. A vital member of our community.
    Selmer MarkVI, Gloger Neck, 10mfan Merlot Metal, Rico H Lig, Rico Jazz Select
    Just Joe's strap (the best)

I truly wish for his good health. Ernie is a great musician and tech but to me an even greater person. He is really one of the good guys out there.

Forum Contributor 2013

+1 to all of the above.

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

i get regular updates from his wife about his condition. A while back she did let me know about cancer being found in his brain. he was doing ok and optimistic. He planned on a lot of vacation time in Maine this spring /summer so maybe thats why he hasn't been in the shop much.

One of the best human beings , craftsman I ever have known. A great friend, I hold him in my prayers always and that's the best any of us can do at this time.

Gah! Just found this thread and I'm destroyed by this. Absolute gem of a human being, aside from being THE technician. GD cancer!!!
    www.thomkeith.com ** e-mail ** Listen * * Try your luck at a Blindfold Test

Forum Contributor 2011

I saw Ernie this morning. What an amazing guy. He has been through so much yet he is smiling and just as excited about life. He is one of the most talented and encouraging guys you will ever meet. He spent an hour fixing my sax and talking. No matter how many times I go to see him, I always learn something new from him. He's making mouthpieces as a hobby now. I tried one and it played great! Very nice piece. I don't know how this will all turn out as life has dealt him some rough cards over the past 3 years but please pray for him. I pray he is around for years to come!

Forum Contributor 2013

That is great news!

Nef - Good report, Thanks. I don't know Ernie well, but have a great 10M which he had rebuilt before I acquired it (pictured in my avatar), so I have visited him from time-to-time. What an inspiring attitude he has.
    "You must not abandon the ship in a storm because you cannot control the winds... What you cannot turn to good, you must at least make as little bad as you can."

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

I was there Monday, He's in good spirits , positive and doing his thing . My horn is booming ! It was great to see him and have him let me try some mpcs he's making and tweaking . He's a master of his craft. Continue to pray and send good vibes to him.
    Just thought I'd mention it to you all.

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2014 Phil Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cesati View Post
    I was there Monday, He's in good spirits , positive and doing his thing . My horn is booming ! It was great to see him and have him let me try some mpcs he's making and tweaking . He's a master of his craft. Continue to pray and send good vibes to him.
    Just thought I'd mention it to you all.
    I'm very happy to hear that. Ernie is as good as they get as both a person and a repairman. Phil Barone

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I just heard that Ernie passed away this morning. He was a great human being and maybe the best saxophone repairman on the planet. I have never seen someone face so many challenges with such a positive attitude. I can't imagine the pain and suffering he has endured these past several years. Yet, every time I saw him he always had a smile on his face! He will be be missed and his legendary work will remain just that!

May he rest in peace.

Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by wsilvio View Post
    May he rest in peace.
    Indeed. Very sad. Thank you for posting.

Distinguished SOTW Member BarrySachs's Avatar

That is sad news indeed. I met him years ago in Watertown Mass when I was playing there with my octet. I needed to get some local cats and Ernie came in on baritone. I only met him that one time but we have some mutual friends that speak of him often. Marc Phaneuf and Kurt Bacher were our mutual friends and the also had Ernie do much of their repair work. Marc recently bought Ernie's SBA baritone.

Forum Contributor 2014

I was very close with Ernie and this is truly devastating. I talked to him not long ago and I knew things weren't good at all. So incredibly sad. He was such a nice person and always a pleasure to hang out with and talk about life and the saxophone world together. Don't really know what to say. Truly at a loss for words.

Ernie was a great person. I always felt better after I went to see him. He was one of the nicest people that I have met in many years. RIP Ernie you will be missed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast