P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Aquilasax replacement C-Mel necks for Conn

Default Aquilasax replacement C-Mel necks for Conn

I usually play my Morgan alto piece on my Conn C-Mel and it works great, solved all my intonation problems and has a good solid sound. The problem is that it sounds like a ver focused alto sax.

I tried my tenor PPT 7 on it and it gave the horn a great sound, but with the tuner I could not get it on far enough to bring it in tune. It was very flat, but the flatness was consistent up and down the scale which indicates to me that the the horn will play pretty well in tune if I can get it on far enough.

Aquilasax has both the straight and curved replacement necks with out a tuner on them. I searched through and did not find many comments on them. Has anyone purchased either one for use on their Conn and will you share how it played compared to the original?

Default Re: Aquilasax replacement C-Mel necks for Conn

The straight neck was not as good as the original neck, by far. But having one allows you to try different mouthpieces and when you find the right one you can cut it off to shorten it for the original neck (if you dare - I've done it on 3 cheap mouthpieces) .
    Derrick
    '23 Martin Handcraft C Soprano, '59 Martin Indiana Alto, '25 Buescher Tru-Tone C Melody, '48 Martin The Martin - I guess I'm pretty much a Martin fan!

Forum Contributor 2014 patmiller's Avatar

I have both a straight and a curved neck for my Aquilasax. I prefer the straight neck. I'll PM you with a proposition.
    Pleasing everyone is impossible; pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Derrick -

What was it that you did not like about the straight neck? Was the difference in tone, intonation, quality of craftsmanship, or ?

The tone was "flat". It had less core strength than the original neck. I never checked intonation though I don't believe it caused any great changes in intonation. I also had to work the tenon down by careful sanding for a couple of hours to get it to fit into my neck receiver.
    Derrick
    '23 Martin Handcraft C Soprano, '59 Martin Indiana Alto, '25 Buescher Tru-Tone C Melody, '48 Martin The Martin - I guess I'm pretty much a Martin fan!