Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

Default trying to get the smooth jazz sound

im getting a little closer on the alto .not there yet probably never will be but...I try
    trying to get an alto sound in my little home studio .Im more of an r/b smooth jazz guy but wish I could play straight ahead stuff like some of these monsters on the forum...I just recorded this track"will you still love me tomorrow" with a peter white track as the background. just wondering if you like the sound. I missed tons of notes and plan on trying it again but the basic sound is what Im trying to achieve. not necessarily the notes as Ill have to try that again because its filled with mistakes but I was just trying to get in the ball park of a smooth jazz sound.click on my signature to listen . thanks cats ! appreciate it

Default Re: trying to get the smooth jazz sound

Im no "monster" player either and I also have a little home studio but I dont sound as good as you so I have to say you are doing fine. Keep practicing!

What's your worry. You have a great sound. Obviously you're not happy with it, so I have to ask you "what are you after?" You'll never sound like your idol, whoever that may be. Your sound is definitely in that smooth jazz genre. Stop worrying about your sound and make some music!!
    2005 Yamaha 82Z alto, Bettoney C Melody, 1946 King Zephyr Tenor,
    2004 the Woodwind Soprano,1989 Normandy Clarinet, 2005 Band Now Flute
    1989 smokin' hot Wife who hates Kenny G!

Distinguished SOTW Member Woody Reed's Avatar

JD, see if you can put some pre-delay on the reverb you used and turn it down by 25% or so. (Provided you applied the reverb in the mix, not while recording). Put 60ms or so (if you see pre-delay in the reverb settings, 60ms will make sense). This will help bring your sax up front in the mix and match the guitar space better. I think you'll like your sax "sound" more this way. No need shy away from the sax being up front. Your playing sounds great. But the sax "sounds" like it's in the bathroom at the studio. Not in the tracking room with the rest of the players. Does that make sense?

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

thanks i appreciate that guys.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

thanks woody!! Im going to go back to the drawing board and try your suggestions !! I really appreciate your insights.You are one of my favs!!

Hello. I heard BEY SAME .You have got it. You are definitely going the right way.If that was a midi file backing track cut out the piano melody ,stay away from the low register, use the middle register mostly with a bit of the upper register and re-do that recording and if possible add a little vibrato .and youll sound great . All the best.HORNLOVER Colombo.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2011

thanks hornlover