P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Free "E-Book" - Jazz Vocabulary Catalog!!

Lightbulb New Free "E-Book" - Jazz Vocabulary Catalog!!

Hey folks,

This is school vacation week in MA, so I'm getting caught up on all kinds of work! I've finished the first (hopefully of many, many!) iteration of my "Jazz Vocabulary Catalog". This volume contains lines from John Coltrane, Stan Getz, Jerry Bergonzi, Joe Newman (tpt), Hank Mobley, Warne Marsh, and Lee Konitz.

It's a collection of 34 of my favorite lines from transcriptions, neatly organized and transposed to 12 keys. I have kept a catalog for myself for quite a while, but decided to start transposing it and make it available on my website. Practicing whole solos is great, but much of the value of transcription comes from absorbing small pieces of vocabulary from the great players – this catalog can be a tool in that pursuit.

The "Catalog" can be found on the Transcriptions &Teaching Materials page of my website (http://andrewfrankhouse.com/wp/trans...sarrangements/), along with a collection of transcriptions by Rollins, Coltrane, Garzone, Getz, Bergonzi, Marsh, Konitz, and others!

This stuff is all free (as in free beer), though you could show your support by checking out my recent album on the "Sounds" page . Thanks!
    www.andrewfrankhouse.com -- recordings, practice materials, and solo transcriptions!
    Please check out my new album Gray/Slate/Yellow, available on iTunes, CDBaby, and Amazon!

Distinguished SOTW Member rsclosson's Avatar

Default Re: New Free "E-Book" - Jazz Vocabulary Catalog!!

Great stuff!
    1955 Olds Opera Tenor (Buffet Dynaction
    Lamberson J7 Vintage Brass Selmer Ligature
    Rico Orange 3 (Reedgeeked) or Fibracell Med Soft

2nd that

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Excellent resources! As a way of saying thanks, I just ordered your CD, "Gray/Slate/Yellow" by Andrew Frankhouse & Farias. I already listened to the samples, of course. Really great, great music!
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Thanks so much....great resources and much appreciated.
    “What I reach for first when I play is sound. Technique maybe, but there is technique in sound.” –Dewey Redman
    “Hipness isn’t a state of mind; it’s a fact of life.” - Julian ‘Cannonball’ Adderley
    www.stormyband.com

Great Andrew, many thanks!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Excellent work.

Much appreciated everybody! I found some weird double sharps on one page - fixed PDF is now up at the same location!
    www.andrewfrankhouse.com -- recordings, practice materials, and solo transcriptions!
    Please check out my new album Gray/Slate/Yellow, available on iTunes, CDBaby, and Amazon!

Forum Contributor 2011 Nobby Keys's Avatar

Thanks indeed.
    Sax stuff and some of my recordings at:
    http://derekghead.com/

Thank you !!

Forum Contributor 2012 Jazzmanic's Avatar

Thanks so much! Great material

Yes! Thank you very much! I'll be buying the iTunes version of your album.

Afternoon y'all,

Just popping in to let folks know that Volume II of the Jazz Vocabulary Catalog is now available for download on my website (along with many new transcriptions!). Click over to the "Transcriptions" page and you'll see it near the top. This volume contains over 30 new lines from John Coltrane, Warne Marsh, Joshua Redman, Mark Turner, George Coleman, Sonny Rollins, and Miles Davis, transposed in to 12 keys. As always, this stuff is provided at no cost (I'm doing it anway - why not share it with the community ).

I did my best to adjust everything to fit nicely in to the regular register and clean up most of the nasty accidentals resulting from transposition (what - you think I do it by HAND?!?!). Let me know if you see anything really wacky I can fix. Happy shedding!

Thank you very much.

Distinguished Colorful Mouthpiece Designer Stan's Avatar

Thank you Frank, you did a great job!

Stan
    - R&C R1 Jazz Curved sop - Mark VI, Grafton, Super 20 1 & 2s full pearls, silver BA, satin silver Conn 6M, Martin Handcraft 3s, Buescher TH&C alto - Conn New wonder Silver & Gold, Mark VI Tenor

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks very much Andrew.
    Be cool, be kind, and be well.

Volume 3 is coming soon-ish...thanks guys.

So before the school year fully takes over my life, I've decided to publish an abbreviated Volume 3 of my Jazz Vocabulary Catalog. It can be found on my website (andrewfrankhouse.com). Click the "Transcriptions" link at the top, and near the top of the page you will find the new Volume!

While it is shorter than the previous volumes, rest assured it is 100% ORGANIC, FREE-RANGE, ALL-MEAT, and NO FILLER! It features a bunch of lines from Trane solos on Relaxin with the Miles Davis Quintet, snakey blues lines from Warne Marsh, and some head-spinning-be-bop-Baroque from Master Sonny Stitt. As always, lines are transposed to 12 keys and adjusted for range as possible. I think I chased out all those nasty double sharps and C-flats, but if something looks really wacky, let me know.

As always, the materials on my website are free of charge, though you could show your appreciation by checking out a digital download from Amazon or iTunes. Moral support is appreciated as well!

Happy shedding!

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Thanks, Andrew! Keep swingin'!
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature
    Inderbinen tenor, Ted Klum Focustone Standard Model 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 2.5 Strong reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Forum Contributor 2012 Toot Sweet!'s Avatar

Thanks for all this material!
    TootSweet
    "The qualities in music which I considered most important -- and still do -- were beauty, simplicity, originality, discrimination, and sincerity." - Paul Desmond

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast