Sax on the Web Forum banner

Double Reed on Sax

21K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a double reed for either the bari or tenor. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it possible within reason?

Thanks!

#7 ·
always interesting , after all there are big similarities among the saxophone and the sarrusophone to the point that.......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarrusophone

"The fingering of the sarrusophone is nearly identical to that of the saxophone. This similarity caused Adolphe Sax to file and lose at least one lawsuit against Gautrot, claiming infringement upon his patent for the saxophone. Sax lost on the grounds that the tone produced by the two families of instruments is markedly different, despite their mechanical similarities. However, because the sarrusophone never reached wide acceptance, makers were not inclined to develop its mechanism to the same extent as that of the saxophone..."

if you want to experiment you need some sort of BOCAL to place the reed in the saxophone somehow.............abd listen to the advise given in the first video, at the end!:bluewink:

#10 ·
You should be able to wedge a bassoon reed into a sopranino sax (remove the binding and wrap PTFE tape around it), but it might sound funny or might sound alright. Having never heard a soprano (or sopranino) Sarrusophone or Rothphone I can only suspect they sound like an oboe but louder when played by someone with a well developed oboe embouchure. But it depends on the player's ability and if they have a good concept of what an ideal tone should be (as is true with any instrument - the bloke in the 2nd video has absolutely no concept of what a good tone is!).

I read the tarogato was originally a loud double reed instrument (a type of shawm), but it was later decided while developing a more modern version a single reed mouthpiece was easier and more acceptable for it.

#12 ·
Most people consider dealing with one reed at a time torture enough, yet here you want to suffer with two. Have you considered seeing a therapist to help you deal with this masochistic desire?

#19 ·
Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I was wondering if anyone knew how to make a double reed for either the bari or tenor. Has anyone ever tried this? Is it possible within reason?

Thanks!
Hi,

I am not sure if you are still interested in having this question answered, but I tried this on my soprano saxophone with a bassoon reed (cue to 3:41 to hear the instrument with a preceding explanation):

You will probably need a contra-bassoon reed for the tenor and 2 paddles for the bari. I am happy to share the description of how I built the double reed adapter if your are interested.

Good Luck,

Jonas

#21 ·
Hi Kymarto,

I see you are into traditional Japanese instruments. Actually, I first thought about using a Hichiriki reed instead of a bassoon reed because of the wide opening for the bore. I also built a Shakuhachi mouthpiece for my sax, but the conical shape and wide bore made it impossible for me to get low tones (flutes are usually inverted conical or cylindrical).

Best,

Jonas

#23 ·
Amazing... (the music is too)

also the NEY , side blown flute technique on soprano!

Do you have any close up picture of the adaptation of the the Duduk reeds?

Dis you just insert a double reed in the soprano, have you ever tried to use a duduk double reed on tenor or alto?

#25 ·
Funny that you ask. I just finished a video yesterday on adapting the duduk reed to the soprano saxophone:

In the video, there is an unhindered close up of the adapter 5 seconds from the start. It is also described in my book: Hyperspecializing in Saxophone. The video uses a slightly modified technique, which works better for me. In the beginning of the video, there is also a short sound comparison between the duduk-reed modified sax and a traditional duduk.

I hope you find the information useful,

Jonas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.