P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I don't take requests

Cool Why I don't take requests

This actually happened while talking to a guy at a recent gig. He asked if we did any Oingo Boingo. Being a child of the '80's I said the cat moved on to make millions in the movies. The guy then said, "have you seen his wife? he must really be loaded." I replied "how would you be able to evaluate this not knowing either him or his wife I assume?"

Not to mention the complete subjectiveness of mutual attraction which changes over time .......... This is what happens when you take requests. Let it be a lesson to you.

I'm sure he was pondering these deep questions on the way home in his BMW or Benz but that would be an assumption on my part.

I forgot the things people will say to you because you play music. I missed it keep em coming.

My actions are my only true possession they are the ground on which I stand. Thich Nhat Hahn

Default Re: Why I don't take requests

That's why I don't listen at the gig. I just nod my head and smile, and thank them for being there, and enjoying the music.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

I don't mind if they have the proper request form.... that would be green with a portrait of Ben Franklin.....

Distinguished SOTW Member RandyJ's Avatar
    Belle Harbor-Greenwich, CT and Grindelwald Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by StanVI View Post
    I don't mind if they have the proper request form.... that would be green with a portrait of Ben Franklin.....
    Stan, I'm with you!
    When I play smaller clubs and some of the restaurant/listening venues I will take requests just that way. Earlier this month a gentleman came up with a song title written on a business card which I had no idea what it was, I said sure just lay your "C" note on the stage, he did and I told the guys to start a 3 chord with a turn around and proceeded to make up a head and then I sang some made up lyrics. After that short number the guy laughed and said to the effect we got one on him!

Distinguished SOTW Researcher Frank D's Avatar

Last month I was setting up before a gig and some guys at a nearby table struck up some small talk. They asked what kind of music we played, to which I responded "blues and R&B". He then asked, "isn't that an odd combination"? Didn't have a quick comeback for that one.

Distinguished SOTW Member

What kind of music? Both kinds. Country AND Western.

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Depending on the type of gigs you take, there's normally at least one person who makes a request that's out there (and might be out there themselves). I've never considered it out of the ordinary, although that doesn't mean the request gets more than a few seconds thought.

And also depending on the venue, it may not be ridiculous for someone to make a request. I could understand if it was a big show that was laid out beforehand, but that's not always the case. And it kind of seems like some people forget this, but you're getting paid to entertain people. That doesn't equate to entertaining the drunkard who thinks they need to make a request every other tune, but it's kind of surprising that some people would be above taking requests (unless bribed to do otherwise? ).

I was with a group for a while that wasn't big on requests either...we lost more than a few gigs because of it (and FWIW, that group eventually ceased to exist).

Go with what works for you I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by vonbraig View Post
    I'm sure he was pondering these deep questions on the way home in his BMW or Benz but that would be an assumption on my part.
    Now that we know what all the town idiots drive, I wonder what the judgmental musician drives.

Must be a POS

Quote Originally Posted by RS
    What kind of music? Both kinds. Country AND Western.
    I love that line .

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

"Ladies and gentlemen we've received a request,... But we've decided to keep playing anyway."
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

I take requests; I just won't play them :-)

(That's a quote from one of my old profs)
    I wish Glenn Miller had lived and his music had died - Artie Shaw (as quoted by Pepper Adams)

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 Finnerski's Avatar

This actually happened while talking to a guy at a recent gig. He asked if we did any Oingo Boingo. Being a child of the '80's I said the cat moved on to make millions in the movies. The guy then said, "have you seen his wife? he must really be loaded." I replied "how would you be able to evaluate this not knowing either him or his wife I assume?"
    danny elfman.jpg

That would be Danny Elfman and wife Bridget Fonda. I'm assuming he meant "loaded" as being wealthy? She's a total knockout
    Finnerski

Quote Originally Posted by VintageSaxGuy View Post
    That doesn't equate to entertaining the drunkard who thinks they need to make a request every other tune, but it's kind of surprising that some people would be above taking requests (unless bribed to do otherwise? ).
    There's an assumption not based on facts.... I never said I didn't take them, I just prefer that a tip (far different than a bribe) accompanies the request.

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StanVI View Post
    There's an assumption not based on facts.... I never said I didn't take them, I just prefer that a tip (far different than a bribe) accompanies the request.
    Actually, the assumption here is that I was talking about you. And even if I was talking about you specifically (which I wasn't), I never said you didn't take them.

But from what you did write, it wasn't that you prefer a tip...but that you'd take one for $100 (unless you meant it more tongue in cheek?).

Quote Originally Posted by VintageSaxGuy View Post
    Actually, the assumption here is that I was talking about you. And even if I was talking about you specifically (which I wasn't), I never said you didn't take them.

But from what you did write, it wasn't that you prefer a tip...but that you'd take one for $100 (unless you meant it more tongue in cheek?).
    Then my assumption was wrong, my apologies.

Distinguished SOTW Member nachoman's Avatar

I was busking with my jump blues band in Windsor (Uk- home of the Queen!) a few years back and we were heckled/requested by a slightly irate older lady- "why don't you play some english music!".... a sufficiently odd shout out that it pretty much stopped us in our tracks.....
    Trevor James RAW Tenor, Berg Larsen 110/2 & Rico Plasticovers
    Bauhaus curved soprano, Theo Wanne Gaia & La Voz
    Charlie Blacklock Musical Saw

My personal favorite, "Play something you know!"
    How hard can it be? You only play one note at a time.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

... I said the cat moved on to make millions in the movies.
    Well, you were the one that steered the conversation to economic terms. The guy was just making small talk and was wondering if you played any music from a certain band. No harm in that. It's not good business to detest your audience.

The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum Contributor 2014 gary's Avatar
    Hawaiian homey, German resident, doing time in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Finnerski View Post
    danny elfman.jpg

That would be Danny Elfman and wife Bridget Fonda. I'm assuming he meant "loaded" as being wealthy? She's a total knockout
    Are you kidding me? Danny Elfman was in Oingo Boingo and he's married to Briget Fonda, who's on my very short list of lustables?

TK Melody UL soprano
    Selmer S80 Serie II alto
    Julius Keilwerth SX90R tenor

Slightly OT but I have to mention it 'cause it always makes me laugh. I'm at club with a local Boston monster Bass player and the very bad cover band lead singer spots my buddy and asks him how he likes the band. He replies, "I appreciate what your trying to do up there".
    Tenor - MK VI 85xxx, Silversonic 375xxx - Sakshama MBI, MBII, Super King, BM
    Alto - MK VI 56xxx, Wanne modified Meyer 6m - Soprano - Yani SC 902 silver curvy - Barone

Our R&B band plays from a set list and moves from song to song with no breaks in order to keep the dancers on the floor. We do get requests though which are handled by our lead singer: "Don't know that one but here is one that is just like it". We then just move on to the next song on the list. The funny thing is that most drunk people in the clubs just clap and keep on dancing.

Forum Contributor 2014 patmiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrvinson45 View Post
    "Ladies and gentlemen we've received a request,... But we've decided to keep playing anyway."
    There are some great smartarse retorts like this to inappropriate requests, but I find that they amuse the musicians much more than the audience or the requesters. But I can't help myself so I use them anyway:

We don't do requests; unless, of course, we're asked.
    Can you dance something we can play to?
    Can we play xxxx? No, but this next one's got many of the same notes in it.
    Pleasing everyone is impossible; pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast