Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Forum Contributor 2012
    Distinguished SOTW Technician

Default The Beauty of Saxophones: 1938 Martin Handcraft Committee II alto saxophone

Hey guys,

I just finished up an overhaul on a 1938 Committee II in excellent shape and was struck by its beauty, both as I worked on it and as a completed and playing musical instrument.

Take a look, I hope you enjoy it.

http://stohrermusic.com/?p=1892
    matt stohrer

Stohrer Music - saxophone repairs - vintage horns for sale
    My Youtube Channel
    Let's be friends on Facebook!

All of this is just like, my opinion, man.

Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: The Beauty of Saxophones: 1938 Martin Handcraft Committee II alto saxophone

Matt, thanks for sharing the story and the pictures. This week I completed overhauls on an alto/tenor pair of Martin Comm I's and a Comm II tenor. All three were in bad shape and required hours of dent work. They cleaned up nice and play like buttah. With a more aggressive mouthpiece, they'll scream, too.

The Comm I and II are basically the same horns with different bell flares. In my opinion, the Comm II is the most beautiful Martin model due to its key guards.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

Default Re: The Beauty of Saxophones: 1938 Martin Handcraft Committee II alto saxophone

Yep, Comm II are the pretty ones! If only I could find a gold plated one. I have some II altos and one has the original lacquer in great shape and it is the darkest richest gold I have seen.

Forum Contributor 2012

There is a ridiculously beautiful gold plated Comm I alto on saxquest right now: http://www.saxquest.com/productDetai...HandAlt#photos
    matt stohrer

Stohrer Music - saxophone repairs - vintage horns for sale
    My Youtube Channel
    Let's be friends on Facebook!

All of this is just like, my opinion, man.