Antigua Winds

Thread: First Recording

Default First Recording

Hi there,

This is the first recording I have of myself playing. So check it out if you've got the time. Feel free to leave CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. This is from a friends Senior Recital, he wrote the tune.

http://soundcloud.com/darrel-watson
    Tenor: Cannonball Stone Series Big Bell

Default Re: First Recording

Really nice tune (what is the name of the tune?)! I dig it. Maybe a tad sharp as for intonation, but keep going. Really nice feel, overall. Congrats!
    "Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." •Miles Davis
    “Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else.” •Judy Garland

www.stevenbollman.com

Giving it a second listen! That's how much I like it!
    "Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." •Miles Davis
    “Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else.” •Judy Garland

www.stevenbollman.com

The name of the tune is The M.O.. It was written by a friend of mine.
    Tenor: Cannonball Stone Series Big Bell

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Nice piece, nice solo. Try to get on top of the microphone when you personally are not mic'd up. You have a nice sound, you might work on a tad more breath support from your diaphragm. Keep posting on sound cloud I'll be following. Good work!
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

I liked that a lot. Thanks for posting.

Distinguished SOTW Member stormott77's Avatar

Sounded great. You have a really good laid back feel. Keep it coming.
    Phil Barone Classic Tenor w Phil tone equinox and isotope A Cannonball BB GS w JJ DV 8
    Thats me in round 6. http://tamingthesaxophone.com/saxontheweb-blues.html www.myspace.com/stormott

Über Geek
    Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SOTW Member

VERY cool tune. I'm assuming you were the tenor soloist--you have some really nice stuff happening there, and I loved the way you opened your solo. Always pay attention to pitch, but don't get so hung up on it at this stage that you get freaked out, because it'll get better with experience... just keep your ears open.

By the way, I don't know if it's the way this was recorded or what, but you have a very unique sound on tenor. Don't be in a hurry to give that up, because it's all too easy to sound just like everyone else.

Look forward to hearing more of ya.
    "Nothing is worse for a musician than getting an opportunity you aren't prepared for." - Quincy Jones

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

All good.