Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: 1923 Buescher Soprano History Lesson Needed!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jefro View Post
    Is there any database I can type in the serial number and find out if it has it's factory finish or gold plated etc........?
    No. Again, back then lacquer was not an original finish and you'll never know for sure where or when it was lacquered or who did it. Gold plated True Tones had more elaborate engraving, the worn spots would show silver plate underneath and it would polish to a shine. Also, gold plated True Tones usually came in cases with green felt inside.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

Well, if Buescher hadn't gone out of business in 1963, there might be. Unfortunately, there isn't, and it's a matter of gathering subjective opinions based on a number of factors including the condition of the engraving -- so here's mine.

Given the clarity of the serial number stamping and the complete lack of silver embedded in the recesses, I'd say it was a bare brass horn to start with, and the lacquered post production at least once in its life.

Others may differ, but it seems likely.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1980-something Yamaha YBS-61 Baritone -- Strathon 8*

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.

That makes sense madden

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12