Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Thread: End plug

Default End plug

Hey Buescher folk --- what is the correct end plug for a early forties Big B Alto made of? Anyone have a spare they would be willing to part with? Thanks in advance. Lp

Distinguished SOTW Columnist/Official SOTW Guru Dog Pants's Avatar
    On the lounge, watching the Cricket and drinking beer. Sydney, Australia.

Default Re: End plug

Don't have a spare but my 27##### 'Crat Alto has a brass end plug. Does it really matter? The end plug is the toilet paper of the saxophone world....does an important job and without it you're in the s#!%, but in a pinch anything will do. Turn one up out of wood or use a champagne cork trimmed to fit.
    The soft and despicable other side of this rather nasty coin is where everything unintelligible is automatically invested with significance by culture vultures. That was exemplified by a Ravi Shankar concert in London at which, after listening to some applause, Shankar said ‘If you liked our tuning up, I hope you will now like our playing’.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

The plastic ones sold on ebay for under $2 are great.
    I have them in a bunch of tenors.
    They are actually much better than the original white plastic ones in Bueschers.

If you find it is a bit big to fit the tenon receiver, cut a strip of sandpaper, wrap it around the tenon insert of the plug,
    and ream it down some to fit snugly.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

if you want to put some extra into an end plug, this guy makes some nice wood plugs
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/albertalon/m...&_trksid=p3686

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Quote Originally Posted by MVash View Post
    Hey everyone! Please check out www.saxplugs.com. They are beautiful handmade end plugs made from exotic hardwoods, and are much cheaper than plugs you will find on ebay. They are also available in dozens of designs.
    Wow, $30 to $45 for an end plug seems a little pricey to me. It's not like it's going to be seen or will perform any other function than keeping the neck receiver and octave key bar being damaged.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Quote Originally Posted by spike421 View Post
    Wow, $30 to $45 for an end plug seems a little pricey to me. It's not like it's going to be seen or will perform any other function than keeping the neck receiver and octave key bar being damaged.
    I'd say that's an important function...say as important as a decent case or a well fitting Mpc cap.
    "there are two means of refuge from the misery of life-music and cats," Dr. Albert Schweitzer

Distinguished SOTW Member.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    I'd say that's an important function...say as important as a decent case or a well fitting Mpc cap.
    Absolutely important and very competently accomplished by a stock plug costing considerably less than these exotic creations.

Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and 2014 Forum Contributor maddenma's Avatar
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY, USA, Earth, Orion's Arm, Milky Way, Virgo Super Cluster, Known Universe

The original could have been either brass or white plastic -- depending on the year. I suspect it was plastic, however. Just get one of the $2 ones or get an HW Pad Saver which will do the same thing for you.
    1926 Buescher True Tone Series III Gold Plated Soprano -- Morgan Vintage 6
    1936 Buescher Custom Built Bare Brass Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1938 Buescher Aristocrat "Custom Built" Gold Plated Baritone -- Strathon 8*
    1939 Buescher Aristocrat Silver Plated Series I Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7, TW Durga 8
    1947 Buescher 400 B-11 "Top Hat & Cane" Bare Brass Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat "Big B" Lacquer Alto -- Ishimori Traditional Jazz 7
    1949 Buescher Aristocrat Gold Plated "Big B" Tenor -- TW Durga 8
    1980-something Yamaha YBS-61 Baritone -- Strathon 8*

Nothing works so well in gathering information as a display of ignorance. I've been learning a lot lately.