P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: FS: Fantastic Beaugnier BASS Saxophone For Sale!

Default FS: Fantastic Beaugnier BASS Saxophone For Sale!

Hello All,

I am selling quite a rare instrument at a crazy price. This is a fantastic, totally hand made, French bass sax with modern key work from low Bb to high F, great intonation, and impeccable craftsmanship.

Though it has "Vito" engraved on the bell, it was actually made by the Beaugnier company in France (their shop was located right across the street from the original Selmer shop). They made a handful of basses, some stamped "Beaugnier", but most stamped either Vito or Noblet. It has original lacquer, almost all original pads, gold-plated needle springs, resonators, neck (never bent), and case. This is quite a compact bass, wrapped up even tighter than Selmer basses.

It does need a little work. When it was shipped to me, it sustained a little damage en route. The are that needs the most attention is the upper bow-body brace, and octave mechanism (see pics). Take this to your local tech and they'll have it fixed for you.

Because it does need a little work, I'm offering this rare and extremely high quality bass for $4500. I've seen Beaugnier basses in MUCH worse shape sell upwards of $7500.

I'm attaching a bunch of pictures, but feel free to contact me if you want any others, or have any questions about the bass. Unfortunately, I cannot accept any trades or partial trades. If you're interested, shoot me a message and we'll work something out!

Best,
    Quinn
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: FS: Fantastic Beaugnier BASS Saxophone For Sale!

More pictures

Last of 'em

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

PM sent
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Forgot to mention ( as per SOTW rules), this horn would be shipping from Rochester, NY. Thanks!

Quinn

Distinguished SOTW Member. eugeneherman's Avatar

Quite a find... Would you consider producing a sound sample? I certainly for one would love to hear this mighty beauty/beast... Best wishes to the lucky new owner, whoever that may be!
    'It's ain't about the notes on the page, it's about the notes on the stage!'

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Something worth mentioning is that this bass has more than a couple re-solder repairs. It hasn't been beat up by any means, but it has seen some action in its time. IMO, that's something that should be disclosed. (I've seen this sax in person before it was snatched up by our favorite Eskimo)

Since it was only recently sold on E bay, I'm also a bit curious why it's being put up for sale so quickly.

VintageSaxGuy, thanks for mentioning that. I got the horn from Matt Stoecker on a trade. As soon as I got the horn, life hit me in the face, and I currently find myself in some financial straits. Because of this, I cannot afford to keep this bass. Good question!

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

How is the intonation on this beasty? The first bass I ever played was a Beaugnier, but I can't remember too much about. I sure was smitten though! Have you ever compared its weight to a vintage American horn? Probably not much different, but it would be interesting to know.

Damn.

That is about all I can say.

*ponders if he should break into the bari replacement fund and just go whole hog*
    '41 Conn 6m VIII (Luci), '68 Selmer Mark VI (Fauna), early Yamaha YBS-62(Eleanor)

Forum Contributor 2012
    Distinguished SOTW Technician

If I could afford this right now, it would not be on the market :-)

Someone is going to get an awesome horn.
    matt stohrer

Stohrer Music - saxophone repairs - vintage horns for sale
    My Youtube Channel
    Let's be friends on Facebook!

All of this is just like, my opinion, man.

Hello all,

Thanks for your interest in the bass. Cymru97, the intonation is great, in the upper register. In its present condition with the octave mechanism pinned open, it feels great. The palm keys are slightly sharp, due to the fact that the keys are opening quite far. Whoever gets this will want to lower the key heights up there. Weight wise, I have never compared it to a vintage American bass, but it is FAR lighter than Eastman's Selmer SA80II bass.

Just to reiterate my 1st post, this horn WILL need work before it is totally playable. However, for my asking price plus repair costs, you'll be getting a 1st-rate, handmade bass for less than an intermediate, mass produced bari.

As it stands for the moment, there are a few parties inquiring about the bass, but nothing definite yet. It's still available, so shoot me a message if you're interested!

Quinn

i have to say this is one of the most beautiful instruments i have ever seen i would make an offer but i cant spare $7500 if i could it would have been mine

Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor Merlin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barilover80 View Post
    i have to say this is one of the most beautiful instruments i have ever seen i would make an offer but i cant spare $7500 if i could it would have been mine
    The OP is only asking $4500 for the horn. Read the post again.