P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Neck Cork

Albany, NY .. actually Chatham, NY ... but 'where is that??"

Default Neck Cork

It's been a while since the upper end of my tenor has been addressed (had the lower end repaired last year after an accident almost devastated the horn) ... so it has been years (perhaps 20?)since the neck cork was replaced .. anyway, the neck cork has become quite condensed after having my one and only metal mouthpiece spend a few days on it ..

Well this has made for a somewhat sloppy fit for my HR meyer and Jumbo Java ..not to the point of leaking but not a good tight fit ... plan on seeing the repair man in about 2 weeks ... meantime, is there any way to re-expand the cork? Or do I just shim it out with paper for a few weeks?

BTW, there is a utube video where Gato must have had the same problem and he used paper to shim the cork out a bit during a performance at latin Quarter ... if it's good enough for Gato ...etc etc ..

Meanwhile, I will probably not be using this metal mouthpiece much anymore if it is going to have such adverse effect on the neck cork ..

thanks in advance
    Tenor ..1973 Selmer Mark VI #211xxx .... RPC .115B ...Selmer 2-screw Lig ...
    Alto ...Yanagisawa A991 #320XXX....RPC .090B ...Selmer 2-screw lig ....
    Sop.... Yamaha 475 .... RPC .080...... Rico H lig ....

Default Re: Neck Cork

Coat it in a thick layer of cork grease and rotate it slowly about 8-10" over a candle flame (think rotisserie). If you get closer you'll have to move faster to prevent it from burning, but this will expand the cork back to its original dimensions. Wipe off most of the grease when you're done and voila. Good luck!

Hmmm ... Mark Vi tenor neck ... cork grease ..open flame ... re-living an Episode of " tool time ' ... I don't think so ...so far, a paper shim sounds safer ...

Forum Contributor 2014 skeller047's Avatar

It's safe - I used to do this with a lighter on the gig.
    Steve Keller

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Try boiling some water in a tea kettle. Hold the tenon end of the neck with a towel and steam the cork. It should expand some.

Forum Contributor 2013

Dont blame the mouthpiece. Neck cork replacements are cheap and they need to be done regularly. I dont know how on earth you could get 20 years out of a cork. Do take good care of them but dont decide to stop using a mouthpiece just because you have to change a cork.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Member VintageSaxGuy's Avatar

Paper works. Tape Works. Teflon tape works to a degree as well.

Neck corks are relatively cheap to have a tech replace (generally 10-20) so I would agree that they should be replaced if/when any mouthpiece fitment issues arise.

Also, they aren't hard to replace yourself should you be so inclined to do so.

Ok ...Phil ... I will take your advice ...especially after playing on the Wolfe tonight after I started that thread and having fun with it ... in anticipation of the Equinox !!! that wolfe is not the most reed friendly mpc but with the right reed (usually has to be a fresh one) it is a great fun mpc to play on ...

after I get my equinox, it will be going out for a re-face

Oh, so how did my cork last for 20 years? ... 15 years ago I stopped playing 5 nights a week ... had a real job in the corporate world and played very little after that ... greased the cork up good every time i placed my meyer on it ... becasue of the chirping problems with the Wolfe I stayed away from it

about 18 months ago, went back to practicing every day ... now have a part in 2 bands (will be 3 from March until July) .. had the bottom end of the horn overhauled last march (a result of a severe accident) and she plays like a charm ..

So I apologize for blaming the mpc ... Neck cork replacement is cheap, but I have to drive 1.5 hours to get it done (Bill Cole, the best woodwind repair man in upstate NY IMHO) ..

okay, so much for late night blabbing ... going to bed ... real work tomorrow morn ,,

I also made a deal with my repair man ... I wouldn't fix my horn if he didn't go out and gig ....it's been a great relationship since

Forum Contributor 2013

LOL. Its not a bad idea learning to do your neck cork. I dont repair my horn but I do that. Its not rocket science at all.

When my cork gets compressed from so many different mouthpieces I soak it a couple of minutes and hit it with a hair drier. That seems to do the trick and it doesnt expose it to really serious heat.
    Phil-Tone Custom Woodwinds
    Custom Mouthpiece Design

www.Phil-Tone.com

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

a variation on these methods is just opening the tap of the hot water , in my home the water will come out at around 60°C ( in America, because of the distance form my home, this will probably be only 140°F ). Fill a glass or a cup and put you neck with the cork end in it.
    The neck cork will “ relax” and expand but you won’t be burning the cork or risking to melt the adhesive ( some still cork with shellac!). It is the easiest fix , takes few minutes , cleans your neck cork (for better results apply some cork grease after the water treatment)

used the water soak/hairdryer method ... worked very well! thanks Phil

Distinguished SOTW Technician Chris Peryagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund451 View Post
    I dont know how on earth you could get 20 years out of a cork.
    My YBS-62 is now 22 and a half years old and still has the original crook cork which is still nice and supple, so all the mouthpieces I've ever used still fit well on it (and I've played bari most out of any other of my saxes). I've used La Tromba cork grease on it from day one. http://www.thomann.de/gb/stoelzel_fett.htm
    F*** the notes, go for the tone!