Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default First original solo improv (looking forward to opinions and suggestions)

Recorded this a while back, very interested on learning to improvise well and become a better saxophonist. I want to hear your suggestions, tips, advice and comments on my playing. I've been playing approximately 4-5 years (concert and marching band).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSSdQ6sz0ts

My setup:
    Selmer Aristocrat AS600
    Otto Link super tone master 5*

The improv is a solo i recorded with just the main lick established, the rest came up as i went on. Please do comment, suggest, critic, and give your opinion, very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: First original solo improv (looking forward to opinions and suggestions)

Your link doesn't work, here is the correct one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSSdQ6sz0ts
    or
    Sorry, unable to display

That's a nice accoustic, sounds like a church . Bit difficult to hear your real sax sound because of all the echo, but you play quite well for only 4-5 years. Keep up the good work .

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

Default Re: First original solo improv (looking forward to opinions and suggestions)

Link worked fine for me

Fantastic spot to play. Hopefully water aerobics held off while you were there. Enjoyed your playing a lot. Nice work.

Speaking of great spots, I found one recently - a roadway underpass. The reverb's not as good as in your clip, but I get the advantage of traffic noise overhead.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by marton View Post
    Link worked fine for me.
    Indeed, because the OP corrected it after my remark .

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

thanks for the feedback, very well appreciated! Any suggestions or tips? Looking forward to suggestions and things that i should work on. I want to know what type of exercises, listening, and practice i should do to become better.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Having a major echo chamber covers a multitude of sins. That's why everybody thinks they can sing when in a tile shower! As mrpheebee said it's difficult to hear your real sax sound. if you want advice on your playing you need to post a recording that's not inside a massive echo chamber.