P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: How to get started on the saxophone! Everything you need to know in one video!

Thumbs up How to get started on the saxophone! Everything you need to know in one video!

Made this new vid yesterday . Hope you like it!

You can also find several other vid's on my youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/HelloSaxophone

I'll be making several more in the comming days. If you have specific other (beginner or advanced) questions you would like me to make videos about please let me know in the comments below.

Best regards!

JD
    Creator of: www.hellosaxophone.com Editor & Chief @ www.Zero2jazz.com
    Managing director of the Noordi Gras Festival Board member @ aXolot Synergy
    Play what you love, and love what you play!

Default Re: How to get started on the saxophone! Everything you need to know in one video!

Better than expected.
    Still there are some things that are a little akward:

Don't tell a beginner to press with his thumb against the thumbrest of the horn. He really will do that and this leads to new problems. With your hands you just try to balance the horn. This is done without force you only try to prevent it from falling/slipping aside. If your hands are not relaxed you will probably generate problems in the long term (speed). Try for yourself what happens if you push against the thumbrest.

The word "baby" to get a feel for the right amount of lip at /on/over your teeth is not bad. But from my experience no word is really working for everyone equally good because different persons use different lip positions to produce words and letters. What works for you and me will definitely not work for many others. A lot of people say baby or fish while rolling their lips out without having any contact to the teeth. A problem without a solution, i think.

The problems with tone production are not always based on too strong blowing but also more often by a wrong positioning of the lower jaw or a wrong positioning of the tongue (a,e,i).

There are some soundissues in the video (sax sometimes too loud, voice sometimes too quiet) but these are technical issues.

I'm still not convinced that with your playing experience you really should do online lessons or teach someone (again, i don't feel threatened by what you do, more amused). I had and have students who were/are at the same level of playing like you.
    Good luck.

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: How to get started on the saxophone! Everything you need to know in one video!

Quote Originally Posted by florian View Post
    I'm still not convinced that with your playing experience you really should do online lessons or teach someone (again, i don't feel threatened by what you do, more amused). I had students who were at the same level of playing like you.
    Good luck.
    yes, and he says "If you have specific other (beginner or advanced) questions you would like me to make videos about please let me know in the comments below." Advanced? Are you kidding me?
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Quote Originally Posted by florian View Post
    Better than expected.
    Wow thanks man!

That's high praise comming from you !

I'll defenitly try to get the voice and saxophone sound better balanced in the next one!

And don't be affraid to ask for more advanced conepts. Really!

You might just find it's better then expected .

Cheers

JD
    Creator of: www.hellosaxophone.com Editor & Chief @ www.Zero2jazz.com
    Managing director of the Noordi Gras Festival Board member @ aXolot Synergy
    Play what you love, and love what you play!

Thanks James for the video.
    Its always nice to share what all you have, than to point out others ;-)

Forum Contributor 2011 clwomack's Avatar

Nice presentation. I liked the animations. I'll let others critique the content.

Wow, that was cool. My 11 year old daughter just started learning in school with a Alto, I have a C melody I bought years ago, but it needs work. I would like to see a video on which type to buy. For example, is a alto better than tenor? perhaps by age it would be, like in my daughters case. I would like to teach myself to play, and LOVE the 50's doo-wop, so, would a Tenor be more for the type of music I like? I think I'll buy one ( or get my c melody restored ) to learn, and play with my daughter, cool father daughter bonding time. Thanks for the video, I learn some, and look forward to seeing more. Thanks teacher James.

I teach my students to put the ligature on and slip the reed in between. I've ruined a few reeds putting the ligature over it.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

I do the same thing, Hak. But, I remember a few years back being "rebuked" by a member for doing so. He said something like "If you damage your reed putting the lig on, you shouldn't be playing sax"! Which, by the way, I totally ignored!