P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Recommendations for intermidiate tenor sax?

Default Recommendations for intermidiate tenor sax?

Hi there!
    I play tenor sax in concert band and in my schools musicals and in show choir combo. I have been playing a student model yamaha for a few years now and I finally convinced my parents to help me purchase a sax. Im looking for an intermediate to pro level sax. My teacher says I should gget a selmer because I tend to overblow. I have a fobes debut mp that i really like and would prefer to keep using. Any suggestions?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: Recommendations for intermidiate tenor sax?

Are you REALLY looking for an intermediate tenor, or a pro level tenor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I suspect you have a price in mind and want the recommendations for the best in that range. Tell us the range and we can start the arguments and the shills.:
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

Probably a pro tenor that wont cost too much but still would be nice for college and beyond. My range is 1500 to 2200

VIKING INSTRUMENTS Rich Maraday's Avatar

Hi, I have a very nice Viking Legend Series M85 Tenor 85% copper with a high F#. If you contact me at 845-361-9353 I would be happy to work with you and try to fit it into your budget. I also have a very nice Yard Bird TK Melody tenor that might work for you as well. These are pro horns in a very reasonable price range. Thanks Rich Maraday
    Quote Originally Posted by bandgeek View Post
    Hi there!
    I play tenor sax in concert band and in my schools musicals and in show choir combo. I have been playing a student model yamaha for a few years now and I finally convinced my parents to help me purchase a sax. Im looking for an intermediate to pro level sax. My teacher says I should gget a selmer because I tend to overblow. I have a fobes debut mp that i really like and would prefer to keep using. Any suggestions?
    VIKING CUSTOM SAXOPHONES
    VIKING-INSTRUMENTS.COM
    Viking Models

M58 S Second Edition SOPRANO, ALTO, TENOR, BARITONE
    Signature Series EUGE GROOVE "House of Groove" Tenor
    M60 S Valkyrie Tenor and Alto saxophones.
    M229 Hand Hammered Alto

1500 to 2000 would buy any number of nice new pro-level Taiwanese horns. Phil Barone comes to mind just off the top of my head. It would also buy you a gently used Yamaha 62, which is a Japanese made professional horn. Personally, that's the way I would go and stay away from the "intermediate" lines. A Yamaha 62 or a Barone either one would serve you very well and last you the rest of your life unless you're like some of us GAS heads around here that have to buy another horn every time we get a little money ahead.

Also, I don't understand your teacher's comments about Selmer. If you tend to overblow, STOP IT! A Selmer is not going to help you solve that problem any more than any other horn will. Trust me on this. I've overblown enough Selmers to know what I'm talking about.

How do I stop overbolowing?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010 Canadiain's Avatar

Stronger reed, wider tip opening, PRACTICE

For 15-1800 there is a lot of choice out there, but its probably not enough for a Selmer Paris in decent shape. Im very (VERY) happy with my B&S tenor, but there are lots of other good horns out in your price range too. Used will get you a lot more bang for your buck, but there are disadvantages too, expecially if you want to play before you pay as it were.

Distinguished SOTW Member CONN-hunter's Avatar

didn't your teacher tell you how?

I wish, you had the money to buy a Selmer for yourself. They sound really best for my ears, OK the CONNs too but the ergos are nothing for you.

for that budget you can find maaany good horns out there.

Contact Brian from CE Winds.

But you should try some before you buy one.

Do you intend to buy from a store where you can test various models? Or, are you prone to ordering on the Internet having one shipped to you? Read through SOTW and pay attention to the various threads about Rich Maraday's products. They have been widely praised on this site.

Another option would be to contact Dave Kessler in Las Vegas - he is a site-sponsor and will give you good advice AND good service at a reasonable price.

The suggestion to consider Yamaha's 62-line was a good one. I'm prone to Yanagisawa's instruments, so give them a look.

And, I agree with the negative comments/questions about buying a Selmer because you "overblow". What's that all about? Nonsense, I think. Selmer makes wonderful saxophones (always have) but they are for players not for correcting bad playing habits. DAVE
    Dave

Forum Contributor 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Dolson View Post
    Do you intend to buy from a store where you can test various models? Or, are you prone to ordering on the Internet having one shipped to you?

This is huge. IF you can go to some shops and try some horns, both older (pre-'80's) and newer...do so.

$1500 can get you a ...respectable brand-new horn....or a better slightly used one...or a top-notch vintage one (even a vintage one with modernesque keywork).

That is a good budget to buy something good.

I would like to add the Keiwlwerth EX90 series to your consideration. The Tenors can be had for under $2000, new or almost-new... and they have many of the same wonderful attributes as their top-shelf models.

Also, if you come across a new Amati....try it.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Forum Contributor 2012

Dont bother with anything that isnt made in Europe or Japan. Otherwise youd be making a lateral move from your Yamaha student tenor.

Id also advise looking for a used Yamaha 62 or late model Yanagisawa 880 or 990.
    "The key to improvising is being able to play and listen at the same time."

same way you get to Carnegie Hall...
    More stuff than I need, less than I want.

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hgiles View Post
    Dont bother with anything that isnt made in Europe or Japan. Otherwise youd be making a lateral move from your Yamaha student tenor.
    Unless you are thinking of going vintage, in which case there are a bunch of great American horns (Buescher, Conn, Martin, King).

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

You may find a Selmer mark VII in your range or just over $2K. They are some great tenors for the money. Try before you buy or make sure there is a return policy.

Yeah, are you talking new-ish horns or are you open to vintage horns like the post before me mentioned? I would hazard to guess you havent had many chances to play a Conn 10M or a Buescher Aristocrat or a King Zephyr or Super 20? I know that I was never exposed to these things when I was in high school. I graduated H.S. in 1996, and it was all about Selmer Super Action 80's, Yamaha 62's, and the "weird" Yanagisawa horns with the "funny octave key"! And that was it. I thought that was all there was.
    Knowing what I know now, I would never have gotten that SA 80 alto in high school!

I suggest that if you want a modern horn, to look real hard for a Yanagisawa 900 series tenor for $1500 to $2000. You can find one out there in good shape. I always loved those horns, very easy to play, and suitable for participating in your jazz band, concert band, ensembles, etc.

But $1500-$2000 leaves you able to get your hands on many different vintage horns- most of which, in my opinion, sound so much better, and with a lot more character than most modern horns. Try a Conn 10M from the 1930's, 40's, or 50's- it'll blow your mind! Or a Buescher Aristocrat from the same time period! Your HEAD will explode! Older Martin's are great too. And don't worry about the funky key layouts, you'll get used to that.
    Maybe your folks can stretch their budget a bit and look for a King Super 20 or Zephyr. Or a Selmer Mark VII (7). They sometimes appear for a great price, maybe $2200-$2500.
    Ideally, you want to be able to try many different brands. That's the smartest move for sure.
    My advice is if you thinking modern horn, don't buy one until you've at least tried 1 or 2 vintage horns I mentioned earlier in my ramble here. You owe it to yourself.
    Or, if you can't, and need to buy one unplayed and shipped, just buy a Buescher Aristocrat and consider yourself a happy man!!! One of these fine people here at Sax On The Web will set you up with a beauty! And in your budget I'm sure.
    Good luck, and keep us posted!

Forum Contributor 2012

All of those vintage horns are fantastic...and quite honestly if you were able to find and play just ONE of them...doesn't matter which...Conn, King, Buescher, Holton, Martin, older Keilwerth or Kohlert....the sonic nature of any one of them will give you an idea of how different pre-'80's horns sound. The tone IS the #1 reason people go vintage. As I oftentimes say, in many instances when comparing a contemporary horn to a vintage one, they almost sound like two different instruments (i.e. the tonal differences can be so diverse as to the point where it doesn't sound like two Tenors you are comparing).

As Bruce said, if you come across a selmer mark VII, try it. The only ones you will find at under $2g are the ones which look horrible, so you would need to dish out over $2g if you liked it,probably. I don't think of them as a successful model, but the fact that their popularity has waned means you can still pick up a selmer, Paris horn for a good price. Again, not my cup sonically speaking (I think a Yani 901 or Yamaha 61/62 or Keilwerth would be a better choice) but VII's still have their fans.
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Maybe I missed it being stated earlier. But having some cash left over after the purchase to have the horn looked over by a good tech would be a really good idea.

Happy to announce I'm getting a Kessler Handmade Custom tenor! Cant wait to get it!