Antigua Winds

Thread: Changing necks

Distinguished SOTW Member Aldevis's Avatar

Default Changing necks

I am thinking of buying a YTS 62 (purple logo) as a backup horn.
    Does anyone have any experience in using different necks on a YTS 62? I like the feeling of 82Z horns, but I cannot afford them.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

Default Re: Changing necks

Thanks, it really helps.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru milandro's Avatar

there you go, cheers for the search function then!

Hi,
    I use a mid 80's purple 62 as my backup tenor and have tried the other necks, they all work great on the 62 and give a noticeable improvement in the tone and resistance/feel. I playtested all the necks using a vandoren jazz reed on an link stm and also a selmer soloist.
    As stated on other posts you need to modify the octave mech on the earlier 62's so the pin catches the octave key.
    The M1 is closest to the older yamaha neck and is darker and more resistant than the G necks.
    The G3 is brighter and less resistant than the M1, the tone is a bit more complex and easy to control. Nice sound for classical or mainstream bop/jazz.
    The G1 is very free blowing and for me gives more tonal variation than the other necks. I can go louder with this neck but it can be harder to control the tone. This is the neck I would choose for Fusion or a rock/blues type sound.
    The F1 is somewhere between the G1 and G3 in tone and response.
    I tried different finishes but could not really hear any change between the unlaquered, laquered, silver. This could be down to my deficient hearing though.

The best way to decide which one is for you is to try them. However, the 62 still does not sound exactly like the 82 even with the same neck, 62 sound is more spread and fat, the 82 has more core and depth to the sound. Also the ergo's on the 82 are faster/slicker but I feel that my 62 is a more solidly built horn than the newer yamaha's.

Many purple logo yamahas play great but you gotta play test many because a lot of online sellers are getting into the habit of taking beautiful pictures. But, once the horn gets to you it needs a ton of work. I play a keilwerth tenor nowadays but have a vintage yamaha 61 that I used through college and I will never let that horn go. Most yamaha necks respond different and we all have our own preferences so good luck. Oleg necks are great also I have a custom silver neck on my keilwerth.

Very helpful, thank you both.

I found the 62 I tried quite similar in feel to my MK VI and the 82 more interesting

Luckily the 62 I am after is in a local shop.

What are your main horns?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

My experience with a Barone Neck. fwiw.
    Yamaha TS62 - Warburton LA; P. Mauriat 66R - Sakshama FL; Legeres
    Vito (Beaugnier) Baritone/HR Berg 105/1/M
    Buffet Greenline Clarinet; Yamaha 221-II Bass Clarinet

My tenors are a late MkVI, a purple 62 and an 82Z. I mostly play and practice on the 82Z and only take the other two out to record them. My 82 is closer in sound to the MkVI though it is a bit brighter, has more mid-range frequencies. All three horns have quite a 'modern' feel/sound and similar ergonomics though the sound can be radically changed with a different mouthpiece and embouchure. The good thing with the after-market necks is the lack of resistance they are much more freeblowing. Also some of them can look nicer with these antique, unlaquered and silver finishes. You can get a two tone look like the top of range yani's.

Quote Originally Posted by robscott View Post
    My tenors are a late MkVI, a purple 62 and an 82Z. I mostly play and practice on the 82Z and only take the other two out to record them. My 82 is closer in sound to the MkVI though it is a bit brighter, has more mid-range frequencies. All three horns have quite a 'modern' feel/sound and similar ergonomics though the sound can be radically changed with a different mouthpiece and embouchure. The good thing with the after-market necks is the lack of resistance they are much more freeblowing. Also some of them can look nicer with these antique, unlaquered and silver finishes. You can get a two tone look like the top of range yani's.
    So you can swap necks between the 62 and the 82z without affecting the tuning....
    I think I will try to have the 62 on approval.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldevis View Post
    So you can swap necks between the 62 and the 82z without affecting the tuning....
    Tuning will be effected no matter what horn you use. Changing necks changes the character of the horn completely in regards to tuning.
    '41 Conn 6m VIII (Luci), '68 Selmer Mark VI (Fauna), early Yamaha YBS-62(Eleanor)

Quote Originally Posted by Aldevis View Post
    The 82 and 62 play nicely in tune with all the new necks in my experience. You just have to watch intonation with the G1 as it is easier to bend pitch and tone than the others, I've not found this to be too much of a problem though. I just have to play the G1 for a few minutes to get used to it. Yamaha gear is famous/notorius for it's consistency and being in tune, this leading to the accusation that they are bland horns with no character!

Quote Originally Posted by EsbSpecial View Post
    Tuning will be effected no matter what horn you use. Changing necks changes the character of the horn completely in regards to tuning.
    Different tunin
    g quality is fine, being out of tune is not.

Quote Originally Posted by robscott View Post
    The 82 and 62 play nicely in tune with all the new necks in my experience. You just have to watch intonation with the G1 as it is easier to bend pitch and tone than the others, I've not found this to be too much of a problem though. I just have to play the G1 for a few minutes to get used to it. Yamaha gear is famous/notorius for it's consistency and being in tune, this leading to the accusation that they are bland horns with no character!
    Thanks, I like flexibility. I got the horn, but apparently the original neck has been pulled down and back up. if I decide to buy it i will probably have to go for an alternative neck anyway.

Not had a G3 neck yet but doubt i would pick it from what i've heard.Had M1,F1's,early 62 but my fave still is the custom G1 necks.There just so expressive and free blowing.
    Wedding Solo Saxophone Player For Hire www.smoothsaxsounds.com
    www.youtube.com/saxdaveboy www.soundcloud.com/daveysax1 Tenor Yamaha YTS82Z UL WOF# Yamaha VI Silver plated neck Sakshama B Marsalis G mp, Soprano Elkhart Deluxe, Alto Elkhart Deluxe , www.facebook.com/thedandbjazzproject?www.dbjazz.co.uk

I love the G3 on my yts61. Turns her into a monster blower.

Are the stock necks for the 61 closer to the G1, M1 or F1? I have yet to figure it out and Yammy is not very forthcoming with any information on the series.
    '41 Conn 6m VIII (Luci), '68 Selmer Mark VI (Fauna), early Yamaha YBS-62(Eleanor)

Forum Contributor 2011 Steve Stockham's Avatar

I have had good and bad experiences with swapping necks. I have a Selmer Omega (Model 162) alto sax which, I was told, would benefit from a MkVI neck. The horn was designed in collaboration with Selmer Paris' people to evoke the "feel" of a MkVI and they came really close! When I purchased one off of ebay, it turned out to be the perfect decision! The neck really improved the sax's performance (once I found a mpc that worked with the arrangement.)

The other experience wasn't so good. The same info except that we are now talking about the tenor (Model 164.) I tried a Serie III neck which I was assured would boost the performance. It didn't. It's not that the sax sounded horrible but that it just didn't "click" like I wanted! I went back to my old neck and it was definitely a better set-up! That cured me of that particular aspect of GAS!

I would still be interested in trying a MkVI neck on my tenor to see if performance is enhanced but I not willing to buy one just to see if it works! I now have a brand new neck that I won't use that I'll have to try and sell to recoup my initial investment....

I have tried G1 and V1 on my 61 alto, but found the original better, haven't tried G3 yet.
    Last edited by rubyxxx; 02-19-2012 at 12:25 AM.