Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Thread: Embouchure tips

Default Embouchure tips

Hi everybody:

I have been playing sax for about a year. I can blow low and hard and even when I blow softly, the air is still escaping. However, I can not avoid air escaping from my mouth or my sax I do not know. Could you tell me some tecniques or exercises to improve?

Thanks!

Default Re: Embouchure tips

Quote Originally Posted by saxphilosopher View Post
    Hi everybody:

I have been playing sax for about a year. I can blow low and hard and even when I blow softly, the air is still scaping. However, I can not avoid air scapingfrom my mouth or my sax I do not know. Could you tell me some tecniques or exercises to improve?

Thanks!
    Do you mean escaping? If so, then all you have to do is make sure the sides of your mouth are closed.
    Alto: YAS-23, Jody Jazz HR* 6M, Legere Signature 3 or RJS 3S

Do you mean escaping? If so, then all you have to do is make sure the sides of your mouth are closed.

Forum Contributor 2011
    SOTW's pedantic pet rodent

It sounds like embouchure fatigue. What reed and mouthpiece are you playing? Does your bottom lip hurt after playing?

We need a bit more info to give you any real help on this.

Do you have a teacher?
    "The sound of tireless voices is the price we pay for the right to hear the music of our own opinions."

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

I really wanted to say something almost mean, but I'm going to be nice.

If you have air escaping from the sides of your mouth you might want to try using a softer reed.
    Then you should concentrate on forming your embouchure in the shape of an 'O' around the mouthpiece.
    Make sure you are taking in enough mouthpiece as well.
    Without being able to see and hear your problem it's a little hard to give advice with the little information you have given.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Thanks for your advice. I am using a Vandoren #2.5 and a 5c Yamaha. I am improving but a few amount of air is escaping yet.