Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Who do/did play Guardala mouthpieces on alto sax?

Hi,

I was wondering who do/did play Guardala mouthpieces on alto sax. I have a handmade studio model DG SA 41XX and I'm not sure enough if I keep it in my setup or I sell it.

I just wanted to hear some clips to get an idea of its possibilities.

Thank you

P.S.: In a list of setups I found two saxophone player. They are Tom Scott and Jay Davidson. Any info about it?
    Alto:Alto Buescher Aristocrat (serie I), RPC90, Brilhart HR 4*. Tenor: Conn 10M, RPC 110. MySpaces: Miguel López, Kind Of Cai.
    Some clips: Buescher Super400, RPC90, Conn 10M, OL "New" Vintage Tone Edge

Default Re: Who do/did play Guardala mouthpieces on alto sax?

Tom Scott, Jay Davidson & Greg Vail are three that come to mind. I believe TS played a Studio, GV plays a BeBop/Traditional, not sure about JD.

Both TS and JD are now on Jody Jazz pieces. If you find some Tom Scott recordings from the mid-late '90's, anything he does on alto there would be on a Guardala. If you go to Sax-ccessories.com, there are a bunch of soundclips from Greg Vail there, both on his original Guardala and the whole range of PMS Guardalas.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2007-present

Tom Scott also plays one on the GRP Big Band Videos floating around YouTube.

Tenor - '61 Mark VI w/Tenney Slant Tone Edge 7
    Altos - '66 Mark VI w/Meyer 6M/Caravan
    Soprano - JDS (No Name from Mystery Country) w/Tenney Tone Edge 6
    Sopranino - Allora w/Pillinger Large Profile
    Clarinet - '68 Buffet R13 w/B45

Well,
    I am not sure the number of pro players playing a mouthpiece will guide your ultimate choice.
    I tried a PMS Studio and I had to send it back because there was, obvioulsy, some problem with the table or tip of this piece (squeaks). The tone was quite interesting but this piece is, IMO, not the easiest to control. I currently play a Drake NY Jazz and wait for an RPC (B) to arrive to compare.
    TENOR : Viking M60 Valkyrie - 10mfan Metal Robusto 8 - Rigotti 3L
    ALTO : Selmer Ref54 Hummingbird - Phil Tone Rift .088 - Rigotti 3L
    http://cern.ch/veym

Distinguished SOTW Member EgilF.'s Avatar

Paul Taylor plays Alto Sax Guardala traditional Bebop with Vandoren V16 reeds 2.5

http://paultaylorsax.com/

http://www.magicisland.com/forum/ubb...p/topics/83696
    Julius Keilwerth SX90II soprano - Runyon Custom .070 - V16 2 / Cannonball Big Bell Stones Series alto - Beechler Custom Bellite .085 - Red Java 2.5 / JK SX90R Tenor - Sugal KW II .110" - V16 3 / Taishan baritone - Vandoren V16 B9 - Vandoren ZZ 2.5

Quote Originally Posted by EgilF. View Post
    Paul Taylor plays Alto Sax Guardala traditional Bebop with Vandoren V16 reeds 2.5

http://paultaylorsax.com/

http://www.magicisland.com/forum/ubb...p/topics/83696
    In the magicisland post he says he plays a King...

Never mind, I misread - it's the other guy who plays a King. Forget I said anything.

Thanks! Very useful info!

The point is that I used this piece as I leaded a sax section with quite good results (but not the most beautiful sound), and that is why I bought it. I'm not a nujazz, smooth jazz, oriented player, so I guess I will not use it anymore unless I lead a sax section again... Only if I find a sort of "Michael Brecker" but on alto, more on a "mainstream" but versatile career, I would work on this MP a little more what's not easy at all. A Tom Scott is the guy!

Here a clip, may be the first time I played, very uncomfortable by the way...

Nowadays, I play with a Brilhart HR 4* (small tip opening) and I'm happy with the sound I get, but it could be insufficient in some contexts, I guess.

Thank you again!
    Alto:Alto Buescher Aristocrat (serie I), RPC90, Brilhart HR 4*. Tenor: Conn 10M, RPC 110. MySpaces: Miguel López, Kind Of Cai.
    Some clips: Buescher Super400, RPC90, Conn 10M, OL "New" Vintage Tone Edge

Ron Kerber switches between a Guardala, and a Small Chamber Meyer Bros worked on by Theo on alto. I had a chance to try one a few years back. It was an amazing piece. Definitely one of my to 5 favorite tryouts for alto.

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel Lopez View Post
    Thanks! Very useful info!

The point is that I used this piece as I leaded a sax section with quite good results (but not the most beautiful sound), and that is why I bought it. I'm not a nujazz, smooth jazz, oriented player, so I guess I will not use it anymore unless I lead a sax section again... Only if I find a sort of "Michael Brecker" but on alto, more on a "mainstream" but versatile career, I would work on this MP a little more what's not easy at all. A Tom Scott is the guy!

Here a clip, may be the first time I played, very uncomfortable by the way...

Nowadays, I play with a Brilhart HR 4* (small tip opening) and I'm happy with the sound I get, but it could be insufficient in some contexts, I guess.

Thank you again!
    I think in that video Tom Scott's actually on a Beechler - black bite plate, seems like a slimmer vertical profile than a Guardala. Doesn't sound like a Studio, either.

King is really good!and all of the alto DG are handmade in Germany!
    It's in a really high quality!
    I really think you'd better keep it!
    It's my dream MPC!i am saving money to buy it!

I had to send my PMS Studio back to Germany.
    Problem with the table or tip opening? The worst squeak machine ever.
    Hard to believe that these pieces are "hand finished" by blablablabla ...
    TENOR : Viking M60 Valkyrie - 10mfan Metal Robusto 8 - Rigotti 3L
    ALTO : Selmer Ref54 Hummingbird - Phil Tone Rift .088 - Rigotti 3L
    http://cern.ch/veym