Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default i want that spitty sound ! anyone know how to get it ??

i have been listening a lot to tenor players like Harry Allen (who has what is, in my opinion, a wonderful spitty-ness to his sound - there are many other players who also achieve this (George Garzone and Greg Fishman come to mind too) - i think that it adds something very special and personal and colorful to the sound. my sax buddies and I refer to it as that 'voo-voo sound' - and of course some alto players get it too ! - so i am a bit amused (though i do understand it) when all of the posts relating to this matter are asking for help to GET RID OF the spitty sound - (i guess it is different strokes for different folks) - so my question is: does anyone out there have any ideas about how to maximise that spitty quatlity rather than minimize it ?

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013

Default Re: i want that spitty sound ! anyone know how to get it ??

For starters, try humming while blowing normally.
    "Zoot" would a good name for a kid...

If I'm not mistaken, the players you mentioned play larger openings with harder reeds. I believe George Garzone plays a 10 tip opening with like 3 or 3.5 reeds. I think the extra resistance of these more open setups can help achieve that spitty sound. Getz played pretty hard reeds as well and had that sound. My two cents.
    Horns: 1951 Selmer SBA Tenor, Handmade Guardala MBI; CE Winds Artist Series DS Baritone, Dukoff D7; CE Winds Omega Curved Soprano, Barone Vintage HR, Akai EWI 4000S

Well, what exactly you mean by "spitty sound" changes how you could go about it. If it's the sound referred to as subtone, it's a matter of embochure loosening and breath support. If it's that bluesy sound, it's a a matter of humming while playing. If it's the spit gurgle beginners often have, spit on the inside of the reed. Experiment, find what works for you. In my opinion 90% of saxophonic issues can be helped by listening to players you like, then spending some serious time on the horn. Nothing replaces good woodshedding, nothing. This place is a good reference, but no one can tell you for sure what will work for you.
    Proud alum of Mattawan High School bands. SMAM 2011 European tour. FIU Marching Band member 2011-.

Distinguished SOTW Member RandyJ's Avatar
    Belle Harbor-Greenwich, CT and Grindelwald Switzerland

That's easy, all the players did it. As you sip on your martini(s) throughout the performance just keep one of the olives in your mouth...don't chew it up and you'll accomplish your goal!

Forum Contributor 2011 Steve Stockham's Avatar