Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Forum Contributor 2014 Pete Thomas's Avatar

Default Notified posts not there on the forum

Sometimes I get an email notification, but there it is not posted on the forum:

e.g.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...s&goto=newpost

I am notified of a post by draksaxprof that isn't there on the thread.

Distinguished SOTW Member CooolJazzz's Avatar

Default Re: Notified posts not there on the forum

Actually, his post was there because I saw it and I was responding "with quote", but the response wouldn't go through because his post was gone by the time I finished typing my response.

Forum Administrator and Contributor 2009 drakesaxprof's Avatar

I actually decided to delete my post, so it is now gone. Will let Pete know.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and Rico artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Sorry about that -- I realized that the function that I was referring to may not be available to the general membership -- you tell me, can you "View Current Activity" when you click on View Profile for a member? Maybe that's an admin function, maybe not - I was unsure.
    I lean and loafe at my ease, observing a spear of summer grass. - Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

I am a Conn-Selmer and Rico artist, and Membership Director for the North American Saxophone Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by drakesaxprof View Post
    Sorry about that -- I realized that the function that I was referring to may not be available to the general membership -- you tell me, can you "View Current Activity" when you click on View Profile for a member? Maybe that's an admin function, maybe not - I was unsure.
    Aha, that explains it it. Sorry, I should have realised it was something like that.

No, I don't think non admins can see what people are up to, we can see who is viewing a certain thread (at the bottom of the thread)

I realise that admins can tell exactly what each and every one of us happens to be up to at any time of day or night, so watch out!

Hmmm...just gave it a try, and it appears that you can see "Current Activity" for some people in the "General Information" section under the "About Me" tab. I couldn't see it for you though, drakesaxprof...so maybe that's because you're an Admin? The response I was going to make was that you could also look at the bottom of the page to see everyone who is currently viewing a particular post. I had noticed on the thread in question that an unregistered "guest" was viewing that thread on a regular basis over the last couple of days. I had checked several times because I had a suspicion that the "imposter" would very likely have been snooping on that thread without logging in, for the very purpose of hiding their identity.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    No, I don't think non admins can see what people are up to, we can see who is viewing a certain thread (at the bottom of the thread)
    I just checked again, Pete...and strangely enough, I can't see YOUR current activity...but I double checked a few others and I CAN see current activity for some people. Strange...huh?

Thanks for the info, and for keeping an eye on things.
    jimromainmusic.com
    oasisquartet.com

Something just dawned on me. Some people have their account settings always set to "invisible", like me. I assume that's why I'm able to see current activity on some and not others. It's a matter of being visible or invisible.

Edit:
    Yep...just confirmed. If you can see the green dot beside someone's name, you can see their current activity on their profile. Not green dot, and you can't see current activity. No green dot for some just means they're offline. Others may be online but invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by CooolJazzz View Post
    had checked several times because I had a suspicion that the "imposter" would very likely have been snooping on that thread without logging in, for the very purpose of hiding their identity.
    Not possible, only logged in members can see the Lounge. I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Thomas View Post
    Not possible, only logged in members can see the Lounge. I think.
    You appear be correct, Pete. I just logged out and I could view almost everything except the Lounge. BUT...I know for a fact because I was looking for it...at the bottom of that thread, in addition to the names of registered members who were viewing it at the time...it also showed that "1 guest" was viewing the thread. I wonder how that would happen?